Sign in to follow this  

died, wont start now pumps oil

This is weird...rode the bike (2003 DRZ 400S) ten minutes about two months ago.

It seemed to be ok, but this is my first DRZ so I'm not dialed into what is 'normal' for these. Love the bike tho' for the short timer I am.

Anyway, it died on me after a 1/8 mile of nearly wot and decel to turn around then flamed out.

Cranks with compression but no start, not even a pop. Fuel supply ok, not flooded (at the time).

The bike then sat for a couple months while the weather improves.

I had left the fuel cock on by mistake, but I had also carefully gone thru the carb cleaning and adjusting it. The float may have stuck, flooding the jug.

I'm no newby to mechanic-ing, but this is la strangiata..

Then pulled the sparkplug to check for spark, went to crank it and the cylinder was full of oil and fuel, spewing a big mess. I gave it time to dry and fe-fume before trying again, and it was full again, this after I had drained the carb bowl, so this was pure oil, clean from the recent change and refill.

It seems to now have pumped all the oil out of the frame tank after re-filling.

Anybody seen this? blown seals and/or rings or holed piston?

I want to do a compression test, but my gage rigging doesnt have the skinny plug style adapter.

Yow!

Thanks for any insight!

k

This is weird...rode the bike (2003 DRZ 400S) ten minutes about two months ago.

It seemed to be ok, but this is my first DRZ so I'm not dialed into what is 'normal' for these. Love the bike tho' for the short timer I am.

Anyway, it died on me after a 1/8 mile of nearly wot and decel to turn around then flamed out.

Cranks with compression but no start, not even a pop. Fuel supply ok, not flooded (at the time).

I had left the fuel cock on by mistake, but I had also carefully gone thru the carb cleaning and adjusting it. The float may have stuck, flooding the jug.

I'm no newby to mechanic-ing, but this is la strangiata..

Then pulled the sparkplug to check for spark, went to crank it and the cylinder was full of oil and fuel, spewing a big mess. I gave it time to dry and fe-fume before trying again, and it was full again, this after I had drained the carb bowl, so this was pure oil, clean from the recent change and refill.

It seems to now have pumped all the oil out of the frame tank after re-filling.

Anybody seen this? blown seals and/or rings or holed piston?

I want to do a compression test, but my gage rigging doesnt have the skinny plug style adapter.

Yow!

Thanks for any insight!

k

You need to start by changing the oil.....Incl filter since it has been rotated. The fuel drained into the crank case and has now contaminated the whole oil system.....Not a big deal.... Just replace it.......Put in junk oil....and replace it again after a short ride to make sure all the fuel is gone...... Check your petcock for leaks....just to make sure.... Then you now have a fresh bike to trouble shoot if it still doesn`t run.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

I had left the fuel cock on by mistake

Thanks for any insight!

k

The stock fuel petcock operates off a vacuum line that opens the petcock when the engine runs(creating the vacuum). If you leave the petcock in the PRI(prime)mode it can flood your motor with fuel. Keep your petcock in the ON or RES mode unless you need to refill an empty floatbowl(such as after a carb cleaning) then use the prime mode, but only to fill the the carb with fuel .......phillybeef

Well, I guess I'm a doosh now...:banana:

drained the oil as suggested (Thanks!!) and about a gallon+ drained out.

The filter still had fresh oil in it, but it was new/changed less than 2 hrs running time ago.

This bike was molested by the PO. I have spent a bunch on new parts and time restoring it after some okies beat the crap out of it.

I surmise that the bike and its new clarke tank -stored outdoors with kansas temperatures wildly ranging from -5F to +50 over several weeks may have helped pump the crankcase full of fuel after my lame attempts to re-start the bike after it quit (then leaving the petcock on).

I still dont know why that dying happened, but I have a feeling it will tell me sooner than later.

I'll try kitting the carb and retrying.

I had gone completely thru the fuel system from tank to carb, including the petcock. The vacuum hose had been disconnected by the PO and blocked off at the carb fitting, and the 3x3 airbox mod done. I think that makes the bike a stage 1 already.

There was so much fuel in the engine that it was dripping out of the new MRD's SSW muffer. As I pumped it out after the oil change, it started and ran gargling sounds a few seconds -with the carb bone dry! :lol:

Valuable lesson...I think I want an FCR and a better petcock.

I dont like shenanigans with fuel/oil anymore.

k

Well, I guess I'm a doosh now...:banana:

drained the oil as suggested (Thanks!!) and about a gallon+ drained out.

The filter still had fresh oil in it, but it was new/changed less than 2 hrs running time ago.

This bike was molested by the PO. I have spent a bunch on new parts and time restoring it after some okies beat the crap out of it.

I surmise that the bike and its new clarke tank -stored outdoors with kansas temperatures wildly ranging from -5F to +50 over several weeks may have helped pump the crankcase full of fuel after my lame attempts to re-start the bike after it quit (then leaving the petcock on).

I still dont know why that dying happened, but I have a feeling it will tell me sooner than later.

I'll try kitting the carb and retrying.

I had gone completely thru the fuel system from tank to carb, including the petcock. The vacuum hose had been disconnected by the PO and blocked off at the carb fitting, and the 3x3 airbox mod done. I think that makes the bike a stage 1 already.

There was so much fuel in the engine that it was dripping out of the new MRD's SSW muffer. As I pumped it out after the oil change, it started and ran gargling sounds a few seconds -with the carb bone dry! :lol:

Valuable lesson...I think I want an FCR and a better petcock.

I dont like shenanigans with fuel/oil anymore.

k

It died because of an overly rich fuel mixture from the crankcase vented into the airbox (if the breather hose is still vented to the airbox boot.)

Also, disconnecting the petcock vacuum hose is not part of any mod (stg 1, etc..). It only means the PO ran it on PRI or installed an E (or other) petcock.

The breather hoses are intact and in place. I can sort of understand why she would load-up rich if engine wear is excessive (it does not smoke), but after the dying, why it would not start after several attempts still bedevils me.

The stock petcock I transplanted from the beat up and leaking stock tank to the Clarke.

I had been tinkering with the jetting after the SSW upgrade, and have not been able to push past cutting out all the way to redline yet, so had just bumped the jet up to the largest that was in the FMF kit along with its needle, but now see that the stepped needle JE(sp?) kit is the better choice. I dont recall the numbers now, but I wrote them down, something like a 145 main and second notch on the needle.

I can tolerate a new FCR 39. I'm reluctant but another jet kit, a bowl gasket and fiddling around just costs time and money so maybe just cut to the chase...

Ok, so who offers a good price on a new (or maybe used) FCR, with correct boots, etc. to complete this?

This is a '03 DRZ 400S with no engine mods -yet.

Thanks in advance guys!!