Sign in to follow this  

2000 CR250 Sputtering at High Speed

The bike started doing this towards the end of my last ride and now I can't accelerate in 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear b/c the bike will sputter (not bog down) when I hit higher speeds. I took the carb off and removed the float bowl but I don't know much about working on carbs. Everything looked really clean and the 180 main jet (which I could see without pulling things apart) looked clean. The bike did this before I took the carb off and now it's doing the same thing since I have reassembled everything. It starts easily and has lots of power in 1st and 2nd. It has not always done this, but I've only had the bike 6 months and ridden it 10-15 times with no problem, so it's something new to me.

Here is what I know.

Fresh plug

Fresh gas (40:1)

clean filter and properly seated

V-Force reeds look new

Air Screw 1-1/2 turns out

180 main jet looked clean

fresh oil

new clutch cable

idles great

Here is what I don't know:

condition of clutch (I assume it's original)

needle clip position (don't know what to look for = still new to this)

What could be causing this? Is the clutch slipping? Is it something to do with the carb? If I had blocked hoses wouldn't it happen at slower speeds too?

run a compression check and inspect the operation of the power valves

Take off the stator cover, cover by the gear shifter, and check for water. the cover is metal and if you wash or hit alot of water with a hot engine condensation will occur. this happend alot on my rm 250. good luck

The cover on mine is plastic. Are you talking about behind the plastic cover where the flywheel is, or am I thinking about the wrong thing?