Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250 2008 Overheating

Hi guys just looking to see if someone could shed some light on 2 problems im having with my bike.Been riding 2 strokes the last 2 years and this is my first 4 stroke so dont have much experience with them.

Bought the bike second hand a number of weeks ago of a friend whos very uptight and strict about maintenance so I know the bike has been well looked after.

Have found it very hard to start..It wont start with the choke at all.

I have to roll the throttle on twice and tehn maybe 30 or more kicks to get the bike to start, then when the bike begins to start to idle I roll the throttle to get the revs up and it will die.

What seems to be the problem - valves and jetting maybe?

WHEN it does start and idles for me I let the bike tick over for less than 3 minutes last night, the exhaust header had turned almost bright red like a hot poker surely this heat so quiclky is crazy?

Has anyone any info that might point me in the right direction

Cheers guys!

My 08 has similar problems. Most 4 strokes will glow if you let it idle on the stand. Mine will puke coolant as well in just a few minutes on the stand. They need air to stay cool. Don't worry about the glowing header, but don't let it sit on the stand idling for a long time either.

As far as starting, mine is a bear as well. If you haven't already, you should definitely check your valves to make sure they aren't tight, but my 08 was tough to start even with very low hours and valves in spec. Make sure the fuel screw is in the ballpark and give it gas before even starting to kick when it's cold. You'll figure it out with time.

Here is what I do to start mine and I rarely have problems. If you are starting it for the first time of the day, blip the throttle 2 times, then kick the bike over a full stroke 2 times. then push the kick lever down until you hear a "click" sound. this means the piston is at TDC (top dead center) this is what you need to make sure of for an easy start up. right after you hear the click give it a fullforce kick down and it should fire up. many ppl do not know how to properly start their 4 stroke and that is why it gives them problems. its not a 2 stroke where it will fire right up everytime. hope this helps, and yeah you should not let it idle on a stand, really you shouldn't even start it unless you are going to ride it. Once the top of the radiators are warm your good to go