Sign in to follow this  

One bike for Streetard&Woods?

Hey there,

Anyone ever use a KTM450smr with dirt wheel set up?

I have heard of guys buying longer fork lowers and then having

their SMR instantly turn into a great woods bike with just a change

of wheels!!!!!

Anyone here tried this?

Thanks for the help,

Buzzes

I've been thinking about this as well.

Have a KTM 525 SMR and the thought of having a dirt setup is tempting.

I've seen people swap wheels but changing rotors, breaking the chain and messing with the gears every single time sounds,well... like work.

So, how's this sound?

What if you had a seperate set of dirt forks with the 21" wheel, smaller rotor,brake caliper and brake lever still attached?

Loosen triple clamps, pull SMR front end off and swap brake levers.Done.

Then it's just the rear wheel and if your gearing is close enough to your SM setup you don't have to swap chains.

Seems to me if you had all the parts on standby the swap would be quick and painless.

Maybe even use use the forks, brake and rim setup off another brand of dirtbike?

Cable brake insted of nice Brembo yes but it might cost less than 1/2 of a KTM brand dirt set.

I see CRF, KLX, DRZ and such bieng parted out alot more often than KTMs and at much lower prices.

Just a thought.

Maybe someone can chime in fork sizes or reasons why it just wouldn't work.

Sounds like alot of money and time, I would buy a cheap used 2 Stroke dirt bike for 1500 or less they're out there.

Sounds like alot of money and time, I would buy a cheap used 2 Stroke dirt bike for 1500 or less they're out there.

Not if your bike is plated.

I think the extra forks might be overkill unless your doing some serious riding/racing that requires dirt forks. If you just want to blast through some trails then I would just swap out the wheels, brakes and drive. And remove the mirrors.

I have the full blown conversion you speak of including seperate suspension (forks and shock), wheels, and front brake. I use vastly different sprocket sizes, so that required a seperate chain as well. I run 13-45 supermoto and 13-53 off road or first gear is really tall. You can probably get by using the SMR suspension off road, but not if you are a serious off roader. It was expensive to purchase the complete swap. I'm uncertain if you can run the front dirt brake caliper on the supermoto hanger. They make adapters to go the other direction.

The motor is the same as a 450 SX with 2 extra gears, so it is fine as long as you don't need a wide ratio transmission.

Not if your bike is plated.

I think the extra forks might be overkill unless your doing some serious riding/racing that requires dirt forks. If you just want to blast through some trails then I would just swap out the wheels, brakes and drive. And remove the mirrors.

Awh, you have a valid point there.

I have a separate bike for that but still end up taking my SM out into the trails all the time......I just run Distanzia tires now :banana:

But like was mentioned...a decent used 2 smoke for a second bike for that purpose is a great idea as thats what I ended up doing after going the whole second set of wheels....easier to just grab the other bike :lol:....

For a GREAT woods bike...try a GasGas... I have a GasG ECec250 for my dirt weapon and it even has a plate :banana:

Thanks for all the valuable input people!!!!

I am inquirying because I currently have a GREAT off road set up

(2008 KTM 250XCW-e)

but I wish to Supermoto on the road and local track.

--I know I could add wheels and brakes to my XCW-e but I also

want to be able to road ride for shits, giggles and the run to the

track.

Our local government has outlawed conversions now.

I just don't have enough time to gear-up for trail rides all the time.

Can one bike give me what I need?

----looking at a 06 KTM 450smr that has been made street legal from the

dealer with papers.

Anyone want to trade my 2003 KLX 125 4 stroke dirt bike for a KTM dirt setup???

<a  href=21509012klx2012520limag.jpg' alt='215090

That is by FAR the WORST/BIGGEST/most VIVID

version of a THREAD JACK I have ever experienced.

Nice work!----------------dick.

The one Bike to Rule them all is a wonderful dream. I spent a while considering this tempting concept, but found it neither practical nor efficient. In practice you end up with a bike that excels neither in the woods nor on the trail and needs a 30 minute conversion to switch. On the trail your bike will be extra heavy and have all sorts of expensive road bits dangling off them which you potentially have to replace/ fix every time you crash. On the road you will be burdened by off-road specific gear/ design.

I like to ride technical stuff and moto track.... for me, neither would be fun on that KTM. BUT... I do ride with this former racer who is such a master I am sure he could ride all the nasty, muddy, rocky, rutted, roots sections as well as jump the KTM.

I would not consider my set up the most amazing in the world, but I have a hopped up and tricked out 2007 DRZ400SM and a 2002 YZF250 all kitted out with armor that serves well on track and in the woods. I purchased the YZ first and considered doing the super moto conversion... this was before the 250X supermoto that Yamaha put out.

Between those bikes I can comfortably go on road rides with friends, ride 2 up with girlies, ride Moto at the track, and do technical woods rides. Sure two bikes take up a bit more space than one bike and a set of wheels and I pay an extra 125 a year extra to insure the YZF... but for me they out perform the 1 bike. I bought both used and I bet I spent less on the pare then you would spend on a used KTM and buying the wheels like you guys were talking about. Especially after you buy all those replacement mirrors and lights. Most importantly, I can roll ether bike out of my garage and be ready to go on a bike that excels at road or dirt.

AND perhaps best of all, if one bike is non- operational, the other is handy :lol: The one bike to rule them all is also the one bike you REALLY wish was running 100% on a beautiful riding day... but I live in VT where we value the sunny warm days... maybe in Cali they are all beautiful riding days.

I think we can all agree, we just need to own more than one motorcycle :thumbsup: In fact, some people can find reason to own 4 or 5... I have neither the $ or the garage space, but I wish I did!

I've been thinking about a WR250...and converting it to SM.

but switching it to dirt trim before trails every once in a while.

Between those bikes I can comfortably go on road rides with friends, ride 2 up with girlies, ride Moto at the track, and do technical woods rides. Sure two bikes take up a bit more space than one bike and a set of wheels and I pay an extra 125 a year extra to insure the YZF... but for me they out perform the 1 bike. I bought both used and I bet I spent less on the pare then you would spend on a used KTM and buying the wheels like you guys were talking about. Especially after you buy all those replacement mirrors and lights. Most importantly, I can roll ether bike out of my garage and be ready to go on a bike that excels at road or dirt.

I think we can all agree, we just need to own more than one motorcycle :thumbsup: In fact, some people can find reason to own 4 or 5... I have neither the $ or the garage space, but I wish I did!

Yea, I just came from a single track ride on my KTM250xcw-e and can't imagine being as satisfied on anything else.----especially a road tuned four stroke.

I am closer to the two bike approach right now.----ALL ORANGE TOO!!