Sign in to follow this  

removal of airbox on my 08 400sm

searched and didnt find anything on this so i posted. i removed every bolt attached to my airbox in cluding the boot thing thatr attaches to my carb, and can't manage to squeeze it thru my subframe. do i need to remove my subframe to get this off or is there an esier way i'm not seeing? thanks

thanks, i was hoping i wouldnt have to. being american i try to get away with the least amount of work possible

thanks, i was hoping i wouldnt have to. being american i try to get away with the least amount of work possible

Well, let your air box stay, no need to remove it...:thumbsup:

a mouse moved in and built a nest, i just wanted to remove it for cleaning. its all cleaned and back together, thanks

a mouse moved in and built a nest, i just wanted to remove it for cleaning. its all cleaned and back together, thanks

lol you have to ride it a little more often then :thumbsup:

Sounds to me like he is just getting it out of winter storage. I've seen mice sucked into carbs after winter storage. One of my favorites was "My '67 vette started right up. Then it quite almost immediately and it will not restart!" Two mice sucked into the old Q-jet.:thumbsup:

You can get away with just unbolting the lower bolt on both sides, remove the seat, all the rear plastic, and then just lifting the rear portion up. I removed my airbox and replaced it with an K&N open airfilter. You need to ride more often. I had mice get into the truck every winter in the barn. They suck butt!

i ride as much as i can with snow on the ground and temps in the 30's. quoting bow-tie-boy, you cant lift it straight up cause it wont fit thru the subframe. quoting mutualbill, the mice did #1 and #2, creating a black goo and a stench to high heaven. i sprayed some degreaser and washed it out with the hose. i take the airbox cover off every night so it doesnt look like a great nesting place anymore.

I had the same thing happen a few years back on a XR400R, popped open the air box and found a bale of hay.

The fix is simple when they nest in the exhaust, had that happen on another bike.

CB-1 airbox is apparently the premier place for a mouse nest. Replaced the filter, 2 days later, found a damn mouse in the airbox again. I washed it and parked in a different place.