Sign in to follow this  

Which Hot Cam would be best choice?

Looking for a new cam and im just going to get a HC. Which one is recommended by everyone from either experience or what they have hurd. Which one should i get. Also another question is which one would be better for expert/pro rider? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Depends on what type of riding you are doing , just MX/SX ? or desert and/or trail riding ??

I have a Stage 1 in my X and it gives massive bottom and mid , but no top , it falls off sooner than the stock X cam , so for a R i would assume that you want hit all the time , if so a stage 2 would be best for MX/SX and Desert (its a close grind to the 02 450R cam)

the stage 1 is best if you are trail riding and dont plan on hitting the high end of the RPM range much , hope that helps !

And its not so much level of rider , but the type of riding you do and what you are looking for in means of power delivery

what bike? an 02 R cam is about the same as a HC stage 2. only a little more top. the 03 R cam is a little bit easier, but overall, the same

2009 crf 450. I will be using it for motocross. I like to let the bike lug in a higher gear alot but also dont want the bike to hit a wall on top like it does stock. i do need some topend. I am an expert/pro and ride the bike pretty hard.

yea i seen the link from MXA. I have the procircuit exhaust, head porting efi remapped, max torque insert. The only thing im looking for now is a cam and since i get HC for such a good deal i was just going to get one of them at least for now. I just wasnt sure what one to get with the rest of my mods. The bike is brand new havent rode it with these mods yet trying to have it done all at once. Anymore help would be great. Thanks.

I'd skip the cam until you get a chance to ride the bike with the current mods you have made. If you are racing motocross, 55hp should be enough and any more usually becomes a handful. The team I worked for last year built 60hp bikes and ended up de-tuning them because it was too difficult to ride wide open, which is how most pros like to ride. With a 450, sometimes less is more.

yea i agree i will try it like this. But just to know what you think. if i did get a HC cam, which one do you think would be my best choice.

yea i agree i will try it like this. But just to know what you think. if i did get a HC cam, which one do you think would be my best choice.

Probably a stage 2 cam and 13.5:1 piston. You can easily build enough power to holeshot the pack, but staying there might be more difficult with too much power because you'll be traction limited and 60hp will pump you up quickly.

You said you like to pull taller gears through the turns... That is the exact reason I put a Stage 1 in my 09 and it's no joke. I can't even imagine you needing one considering all the work you already have done. I think it'd be overkill. On the other end of the spectrum; I woulda just bought the cam and not had the work done. The cam performance is pretty impressive overall and even better with the right remap IMO.