2004 KTM fork seals and how much oil

Getting ready to replace fork seals on my 2004 250 exc , I've been checking out youtube how to's, it does'nt seem to bad of a job, my question is how much oil does the shock hold. can't seem to find it in the ktm book.

Feel free to give me some tips also.

thanks,

LUNG

A ballpark figure is 580 ml for each fork. Of course you still need to measure the air height with the forks fully collapsed and the springs removed. I like to run the oil level between 140 - 145 mm (5 1/2 - 5 3/4 ") down from the top for a smoother ride.

In the manual its called the 'Air Chamber Length' It'll be listed in the specification section.

Its the top of the fork tube down to the oil level.

Usually set at 110 mm. I've run from 110 to 130. Larger air chamber + greater softness.

Thanks for the info, I ordered the seal driver,and level tool today, I've seen videos on the jap forks, is it pretty much the same deal with taking them apart and putting them back together? My main concern is getting all the air out.

Thanks again,

LUNG

i didn't used the level tool when i did mine. i just cut a spray bottle nozzle to the height i wanted (i think i did 5 1/2 inches) then pumped the handle until all the extra fuild was gone.

it's been awhile since i did it but, just leave them collapsed with the springs out and pump the rod up and down several times to get all the air out. also if you go to ktmtalk.com there is thread about removing the 3rd bushing. it makes a huge difference. as far as for what kind of fuild i used amsoil just because thats what the shop had on the self, i'm thinking it was 10 weight but not sure.

The manual says SAE 5 wt. so that's what I bought, I'll probably do the job this weekend,their calling for rain in PA. this weekend, so I'll be in the garage tinkering. I will let you guys know how I made out.

Thanks again for the help,

LUNG

Thanks for the info, I ordered the seal driver,and level tool today, I've seen videos on the jap forks, is it pretty much the same deal with taking them apart and putting them back together? My main concern is getting all the air out.

your 2004 has open chamber forks, so you don't have to worry about getting the air out like you do with a twin-chamber fork. You will want to pump the damper rod up and down a few times and keep adding oil until it stops bubbling before you measure the oil-height tho. Usually only takes a few pumps.

they're pretty easy to work on, pretty much just like the japanese open-chamber (wr250, etc...) forks.

Cool, that's what I wanted to hear, you guys have been a big help, gotta love forums.

I build shelby cobra replicas on the side as a hobby and we have forum for those cars and man the info on it is great.(FFcobra.com)

Thanks,

LUNG

Thanks for everybody's help, I replaced the fork seals yesterday, not a bad job at all. I just took my time and it worked out well, bleeding the air out is pretty simple , I ended up setting the oil level at 120mm.

Thanks again,

LUNG