Sign in to follow this  

Frozen kick start

I just had my entire top end rebuilt on my bike from a yamaha dealer. New piston, cylinder, valves, etc. I have less than 1 hour on the rebuild when the bike stalled out and the motor seized up. It didn't make a loud boom, clunking, or banging noise. It made a fairly faint and short hissing sound. Went to start it and obviously it was frozen. I have a warranty on the work through the Yamaha dealer and they're making it seem like they aren't going to cover it.

I waited a month for this lousy dealer to do the top end at an unbelievable $1200. Does it sound like I threw a rod or something with the crank? If I had problems with the crank shouldn't the dealer noted this before doing the rebuild? Or am I just crazy thinking a seized up motor with less than 1 hour after a rebuild should be covered under warranty?

take it back to the dealer asap!!!

Any REPUTABLE dealership would have you bring it back and take it apart to see what happened. If it was their fault they would repair it for free.

Right when it stalled, I loaded it up and took it straight to the dealer. Now they're making it seem like they're not going to warranty it.

Am I getting screwed or is this unrelated?

You spent $1200.00 dollars there so I would say if they resist find out what you can do legally against them. Maybe small claims court. Do not touch the bike in the mean time. I mean dont tear it down otherwise they might try to claim that you did something to cause the failure. You might need to take it to a reputable shop (if you can find one) and have them determine the cause.

Ok my kick start was frozen, thought it was top end, after tearing it off it wasn't the problem. After taking the motor out and tracing the kick gears and its chain to the crank realized the water pump.was seized causing the kick to. Be frozen. So hopefully that helps. God Bless.

Why do dead threads keep coming back to life!?!

Not really sure either. I've since sold the bike and bought another lol