Sign in to follow this  

Installing a speedometer

Has anyone adapted a bicycle speedometer or something similiar for a mx bike before? I really want a speedometer on my 2003 KX85, and was wondering how i would go about doing it.

Thanks

No problem using a bicycle speedo on a motorcycle. Just install it the same way as for a bicycle. There are a couple things to watch for when buying.

Make sure it is programmable for wheel circumference. Some only have a couple of presets for 26 or 27 in. bicycle wheels.

Make sure the wheel sensor wire is long enough to account for motorcycle suspension travel or you can buy the wireless type for a few more $.

Installed a $30 Cateye speedo on a dirtbike a few years ago. Wakes up and reads accurate speed and distance as soon as the wheel starts turning. Worked flawlessly!

I have tested a bunch, and the Sigma Sport 800 is very good. I mount two so I can reset the odometer if I need to. Captain Midnight Mod #17

Thanks for the info guys! got it working this morning, i used a cateye cc-ed200 enduro 2 i had laying around.

I did a quick fix by just lengthening the wire and taping it up, but i got it working with the correct size wheel setting.

Speed? Max recorded speed today was 63mph flat, and thats on a '03 kx85! if i had more road i probably could of got it into 6th gear, and wwith a road helmet on i think i could probably get it to 70 .