Sign in to follow this  

2006 450X exhaust options?

I ride a stock 2006 450x and I would like to get an aftermarket exhaust system for it. I have been leaning towards FMF silencers but had a recommendation from someone to go with a MRD full exhaust system. Anyone out there have any recommendations? Anyone tried MRD? I also can’t decide if I should go with just a slip-on silencer or spend the money and get a full system. Is it worth the extra $$ to get the full system?

I also plan to open up the airbox and re-jet the carb once these changes are made.

Thanks for your thoughts. This is a great website with lots of useful info.

You wont be disappointed with MRD.I first heard of them while trolling here on TT for exhaust options.Every review I read people always had favorable things to say. I now own two of them.One on my 450X and another on my DRZ400SM.I cant imagine another place where MRD is more popular and highly regarded than here on TT.In my opinion you cant go wrong with choosing MRD.You'll get an outstanding warranty,great customer service and craftsmanship with a fair price.

Bigbubba76: Thanks for the reply. I noticed that the MRD did not have a heat shield. Have you had any problems with your leg getting too hot? I was also wondering how the MRD sounds. How is it compared to the stock muffler on the 450x? The stock muffler is pretty quiet and I would not mind having more of a growl :banana: to my exhaust.

Thanks again!!

If you do a search for MRD, you'll get a hundred hits, I bet. Everything that could be covered, has been covered.

You are correct, there is no heat shield. All my riding pants are burned all the way through. I'm working on a heat shield now. I'll let you know how it works out.

I have a CHM full exaust on my bike, the sound is great i have the same mods on my bike that you are thinking about, and i love the power. but i was burning my pants all the time due to no heat shield so i bought exaust rap and probablem solved. I am not sure what your laws for sound is but you can take the baffle out and the CHM sounds amazing.

I have a CHM full exaust on my bike, the sound is great i have the same mods on my bike that you are thinking about, and i love the power. but i was burning my pants all the time due to no heat shield so i bought exaust rap and probablem solved. I am not sure what your laws for sound is but you can take the baffle out and the CHM sounds amazing.

What kind of header wrap did you use?

Not sure of the brand bought it at the local motorcycle shop, but i have the white color.

Thread digup! I was browsing through all these exhaust threads in my anticipation for a MRD system hopefully soon... He will weld the tabs on for you and you just put your stock heat shield on...

the MRD header is the same bend as the R model so the stock X guard doesnt fit good , if you can find a stock R guard the tabs can be had so you can mount it , or an aftermarket CF guard is an option

the MRD header is the same bend as the R model so the stock X guard doesnt fit good , if you can find a stock R guard the tabs can be had so you can mount it , or an aftermarket CF guard is an option

Yep....I'm running an E-Line guard for a 450R with their clamp mounts over header wrap since I dont have tabs on my MRD setup. The bend of the 450x header pipe is way different.