Sign in to follow this  

Ban Tear-Offs in Cross Country and Enduros

The notion that we allow folks to pull a tear off and throw it on public land during a race is shocking. We should be better stewards of the land we ride on than that. I believe if only biodegradable tear-offs were allowed in Cross Country and Enduros Scott, Smith et al would develop them but as long as they are not required that will never happen (How many cars would have catalytic converters if not for the EPA requiring low emissions cars?).

Tear-offs are not allowed in Oregon cross country races and it hasn't caused any issues up there as far as I know.

If we don't take this reasonable step on our own and some greenie gets hold of this they will beat us over the head with it and rightfully so.

• Like 1

There are alot of places that have a no tear off rule....so most people use the roll system....It may come to a time were that is all they allow are the roll systems......

The notion that we allow folks to pull a tear off and throw it on public land during a race is shocking. We should be better stewards of the land we ride on than that. ......... If we don't take this reasonable step on our own and some greenie gets hold of this they will beat us over the head with it and rightfully so.

:thumbsup:

The notion that we allow folks to pull a tear off and throw it on public land during a race is shocking. We should be better stewards of the land we ride on than that. I believe if only biodegradable tear-offs were allowed in Cross Country and Enduros Scott, Smith et al would develop them but as long as they are not required that will never happen (How many cars would have catalytic converters if not for the EPA requiring low emissions cars?).

Tear-offs are not allowed in Oregon cross country races and it hasn't caused any issues up there as far as I know.

If we don't take this reasonable step on our own and some greenie gets hold of this they will beat us over the head with it and rightfully so.

Wow, great 1st post:thumbsup: Who invited the tree hugging downer to our sacred sanctity? :thumbsup: I think that all of the useless STYROFOAM that is being used in coolers, plates, cups, etc would be a much better issue for you and it impacts the enviornment 1000s of times more than some tear offs being buried in the dirt. Welcome to TT :ride::moon:

MAX!!!

• Like 1

Wow, great 1st post:thumbsup: Who invited the tree hugging downer to our sacred sanctity? :ride: I think that all of the useless STYROFOAM that is being used in coolers, plates, cups, etc would be a much better issue for you and it impacts the enviornment 1000s of times more than some tear offs being buried in the dirt. Welcome to TT :lol::moon:

MAX!!!

:thumbsup: Totally agree. My job has me throw tons of cardboard and styrofoam into the dumpster. Im pretty sure other jobs are just as bad. A tear off vs a big cardboard box for chairs and sofas? i think the tearoff is much less an issue

Wow, great 1st post:thumbsup: Who invited the tree hugging downer to our sacred sanctity? :thumbsup: I think that all of the useless STYROFOAM that is being used in coolers, plates, cups, etc would be a much better issue for you and it impacts the enviornment 1000s of times more than some tear offs being buried in the dirt. Welcome to TT :ride::moon:

MAX!!!

While those items are an issue goggle tear offs can be targeted to us specifically.The Eco Nazis will use it against us to limit or eliminate our access to trail systems. So the less ammo they have to use against us the better

Steve

Like Al Gore always said, "Those tear offs are the cause of global warming!" Honestly? how much b.s. is this?

While those items are an issue goggle tear offs can be targeted to us specifically.The Eco Nazis will use it against us to limit or eliminate our access to trail systems. So the less ammo they have to use against us the better

Steve

:thumbsup: I don't think it has so much to do with tear offs being unEco as it is about them using it to close riding areas.

I'm with you. Whether it is not as bad as other things is irrelevant. Throwing plastic around as trash, tearoffs or soda bottles, is not a good idea.

NW

I'm with you. Whether it is not as bad as other things is irrelevant. Throwing plastic around as trash, tearoffs or soda bottles, is not a good idea.

NW

Well how about all of the rubber that we leave in the dirt when our tires get chewed up. :ride: Think about all of the off roaders and the millions of miles ridden per year and how much rubber is left on trails and tracks, way more than some tearoffs. Think about it, the majority of riders don't even use tearoffs, but all of us ruin tires off road:prof:

Seriously, how far do you want to take this?:thumbsup:

MAX!!!

Some of us were taught that is best "to leave a campsite cleaner than you found it".

Why is it OK to trash our OHV trails, on Public or Private lands?

A Hiker tossing granolla bar wrapper, Mountain Bike tossing a Water bottle or a dirt bike rider pulling a tear-off. Seems like common sense to leave no trace?

Mr. Liberty is a long standing supporter of OHV. His Stewardship has resulted in the creation of legal trails on public land.

For the bashers, what is your contribution to OHV recreation?

Trashing public lands?

Getting trails and areas closed by riding bikes that exceed the legal sound limit?

How many miles of legal trails on public land did you play a key role in the NEPA process to create?

How many volunteer hours do you spend volunteering to maintain the public trails in your region?

Who cares what the greens think on this issue. I would think any responsible OHV rider would like to ride trails in the future? Perhaps some of you like riding in a dump? Many of us would like to continue to access beautiful areas on our dirt bikes and not see the trash of others.

If each rider contributed 1/10 of what Liberty contributes, our sport/recreation would be way better off. Thanks Liberty for all your efforts to keep our trails OPEN. You are a true hero...

• Like 1

If there is a biodegradable option, why not? Now, I don't believe for a second that if all off-roaders suddenly became saints that the greenies would backoff, but making their job easier doesn't seem to be in any of our best interests.

• Like 1

We have amazing trail systems in Michigan and it annoys me when people leave water bottles and tear-offs along the trail. Years ago you would see the occasional glass wiskey or pop bottle and that was it. The treehuggers are going to get the land taken away if we dont do a little conservation.

Remember bad conservation leads to preservation.

it has already been banned in all off track events country wide in Australia and no one seems to have a problem with that so how bout you all just join in??

Some of us were taught that is best "to leave a campsite cleaner than you found it".

Why is it OK to trash our OHV trails, on Public or Private lands?

A Hiker tossing granolla bar wrapper, Mountain Bike tossing a Water bottle or a dirt bike rider pulling a tear-off. Seems like common sense to leave no trace?

Mr. Liberty is a long standing supporter of OHV. His Stewardship has resulted in the creation of legal trails on public land.

For the bashers, what is your contribution to OHV recreation?

Trashing public lands?

Getting trails and areas closed by riding bikes that exceed the legal sound limit?

How many miles of legal trails on public land did you play a key role in the NEPA process to create?

How many volunteer hours do you spend volunteering to maintain the public trails in your region?

Who cares what the greens think on this issue. I would think any responsible OHV rider would like to ride trails in the future? Perhaps some of you like riding in a dump? Many of us would like to continue to access beautiful areas on our dirt bikes and not see the trash of others.

If each rider contributed 1/10 of what Liberty contributes, our sport/recreation would be way better off. Thanks Liberty for all your efforts to keep our trails OPEN. You are a true hero...

I agree. That is how I was raised. I never leave anything behind if I can help it. To many people are of the opinion that it just a water bottle, tear off, beer/soda can, fast food cup, or some other insignificant thing. It all adds up. Stop being lazy and pick up after yourself!

MAX!!!

ADD: Paper used for Sierra Club junk mail membership drive.....

In between TT post why dont you walk the course after the races and pick up the tear-offs?

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Personally I think it's not so much an environmental issue here, but rather it just makes the trails look like crap.

After a while, seeing hundreds of these on the trails would make me a little pissed, it's a good excuse for the real tree huggers to shut down more trails.

Wow, great 1st post:thumbsup: Who invited the tree hugging downer to our sacred sanctity? :lol: I think that all of the useless STYROFOAM that is being used in coolers, plates, cups, etc would be a much better issue for you and it impacts the enviornment 1000s of times more than some tear offs being buried in the dirt. Welcome to TT :p:moon:

MAX!!!

Those were my thoughts exactly!!! It would be a good idea to test the waters andmaybe build a rep before making tsunami waves!!:thumbsup::banghead::ride::banghead::lol::banghead::lol::banghead:

Go make yourself happy and HUG A TREE:banana::lol:

Then worship some dirt:p

I don't care where you go in life, but I believe you should never leave any evidence that you were there unless you are trying to procreate a specific species of creature, including yourself.

Pick up your faulking garbage including tear offs. If you are trail riding, what the hell do you need tear offs for anyway. It's not a race and most of the time you have the opportunity to stop and clean your goggles. This just boils down to pure laziness and blows my mind that anyone would think it is ok to leave garbage anywhere you go.

Hell, I even feel guilty for leaving my tray on the table at fast food restaurants, when they will come pick the stuff up and cannot accept a tip.

Pack it in, Pack it out................. Period..............:thumbsup: