TTR 125L Starting Problem

Hi there guys,

I am new on here. I am 13 years old and I come from the UK. I ride a Yamaha TTR 125L (2003). It has an electric start fitted and a kick start.

Whenever I haven't rode it for a while (About 2 weeks) it is really hard to start. If I try to start it up using the electric start it takes forever and it almost uses all the battery! It won't start at all if I try kick starting it. I have tried it with the choke and without but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I bought it about 2 and a half years ago and it has never started very well since I have had it.

I have read that stripping and cleaning the carburetor might help but I am not sure if this is what is causing the problem?

Does anyone know what the problem is or could be?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks,

James

James

sorry this took so long, remember it is now 7:30 AM on the east coast of the US.

My sons ttr if it sits for long has to have the carb cleaned. usually I can drop the bowl with the carb in place (I just have to losten the clamps and tilt it over) use some aresol carb/brake cleaner and spray everything off and clean the bowl well. put back together and give it a try. My son is your age and can now do his own but I always watch, get your dad or another adult to help. Make sure to wear gogles and clean up the gas that will be in the carb ( I forgot to tell you to cut off the fuel petcock, and make sure to cut it back on before cranking)

Good luck

Rick

James

sorry this took so long, remember it is now 7:30 AM on the east coast of the US.

My sons ttr if it sits for long has to have the carb cleaned. usually I can drop the bowl with the carb in place (I just have to losten the clamps and tilt it over) use some aresol carb/brake cleaner and spray everything off and clean the bowl well. put back together and give it a try. My son is your age and can now do his own but I always watch, get your dad or another adult to help. Make sure to wear gogles and clean up the gas that will be in the carb ( I forgot to tell you to cut off the fuel petcock, and make sure to cut it back on before cranking)

Good luck

Rick

Rick, your a star Mate. I have just got back from playing rugby and I am going to give it ago.

I don't get to ride as often as I would like either. However, I have learned the "Big Secret" :ride: the hard way. If you know that it will be awhile before you ride again (more then a couple of days) Make sure empty the carburator of gas. This will keep your jets from clogging and make it far easier to start the next time.

There are two ways to do this (depending on the bike). One you turn off the fuel at the petcock and let the motor run until ir dies. The other (better) method is a fuel drain screw on the carburator. This screw when loosened will allow the fuel to drain out, once again, turn off the petcock or it will drain for a long time ?. Your bike should have this drain screw. If you look from the shift lever side of the engine, it will be the lowest screw on the carburator. It is a slotted or standard screw and just open it up a couple of turns.

Do this everytime your bike is going to set for a couple of days and your starting will be soooo much easier:ride:

Result!

Our old Mechanic came in (He fixes Rally Karts for my Parent's Business) and helped me take the Carb apart. There didn't seem to be anything clogged in there which I thought there would be.

Anyway, the sort of valve on the choke cable that connects to the Carb had got rusted in so the valve wasn't working properly.

We managed to get it out and sand it down so it was smooth again and would fit back in smoothly.

Put it back together and Wahey! Started up after only 2 tries on the electric start (with choke) and second time kick starting it (with choke)! It hasn't been used for 6 months!

That is the best it has started since I have had it so I am very pleased.

Thanks for all the help and advice lads!

"There didn't seem to be anything clogged in there which I thought there would be".

Some of the jets are so small, pilot jet is about 0.015" you cant see if they are clogged. That why you want to drain the fuel from the carb when sitting for a while

I got this idea from another old post and it works every time.

Use the kick starter for this and this pertains to the bike being cold.

1: choke off

2: kick 5 times like normal, does not have to be a hard kick.

3: kick 3 times very slow

4: choke on

5: kick it normal and i bet it will start 1st or 2nd kick.

It should start easy after it gets warm if it is like most I have run across it will.

If it is hard to start warm then jetting is probabley off.

Try what I have here before you jet. I battled this problem for a year until I found that post.

Steve

I went to start my bike up today after I got home from school and it wouldn't start.:banana:

I ran it out of battery by trying both the electric start and kick starting it!

I tried it with choke on and off but it still wouldn't start. With the choke on it would sort of start up and idle for a few seconds then cut off. It did this about 4 times then it wouldn't start again.

I thought I had fixed it when I took the carb apart on the weekend but obviously not!?

Any ideas on why it won't start again?

How old is the gas in the tank? If its been in their awhile drain it out. I recommend taking the take off and shaking and pouring it out through the fill cap. Then put a little gas in it shake it around and pour out again. You may have junk in the tank and re-clogged the idle jet.

Do you have a fuel filter on it? I put one on my wife's, it was a :banana: but is good insuranse. Last when done riding, turn the fuel off and drain the carb.

How old is the gas in the tank? If its been in their awhile drain it out. I recommend taking the take off and shaking and pouring it out through the fill cap. Then put a little gas in it shake it around and pour out again. You may have junk in the tank and re-clogged the idle jet.

Do you have a fuel filter on it? I put one on my wife's, it was a? but is good insuranse. Last when done riding, turn the fuel off and drain the carb.

Thanks for that, I will have a go at that tomorrow and hopefully it will help it!:banana:

How do I take the tank off?

Do you have a fuel filter on it? I put one on my wife's, it was a :banana: but is good insuranse. Last when done riding, turn the fuel off and drain the carb.

Oops forgot to say that the gas is about 6 months old.?

The bike is completely standard so I don't think it has a fuel filter?

Turn petcock off and pull the fuel line. hold a clear glass container unde the petcock and turn to reserve drain a couple of inches of gas into container. set the container down for about 15 minutes. any water or trash should go to the bottom and tell you what the gas in your tank is like

Jimbob I was wondering how you came up with a screen name like Jimbob. Jimbob would be a admitted "redneck" type name here in the states, but not sure how you came up with that in the UK, oh and if your gas is 6-months old then you need to follow the above or completely cleaning out the tank and going with fresh fuel. You will probobly have to clean that carb and all the lines again. YOu should take your time and be sure the tank, lines, petcock, and carb is completely clean and use FRESH GAS before you try and start it up again.

Turn petcock off and pull the fuel line. hold a clear glass container unde the petcock and turn to reserve drain a couple of inches of gas into container. set the container down for about 15 minutes. any water or trash should go to the bottom and tell you what the gas in your tank is like

Thanks for that!:banana: