Sign in to follow this  

Big guy on an sm

Hey guys, as you can see i new here on the board and im already hooked!

Anyways I wanna buy an 09 drz400sm next week. I have done a lot of research and here in hawaii i think it would be the perfect bike. The only problem is I always see much smaller people riding them.

I am 6'2'' and about 230lbs. My question is what if any suspension mods would/should I do to the bike. the dealer says tightening the coils would probably be good enough but I figured you guys would know better.

I plan on using the motorcycle to get all over the island of oahu and play around in general.

I plan on eventually doing the 440 big bore kit and all associated mods to get get full power from it but not for a while.

tell me your thoughts.

thanks, will

Will,

I'm in the same boat as you approximately. I find that the with stock setting the bike wallows a little and is a little squirrely at speed. For your size you will need to re-spring to a higher rate front and back. I'm planning on doing it to mine this year. I think racetech makes the springs. in the interim though you could adjust the preload by 1/4 inch and then tighten up the dampening a bit. Wouldn't be perfect but it would help and it's free!

Thanks for the quick reply n-f-g. Im pretty sure I could handle the rear spring change my self but I have never taken apart the fronts before. Is there a chart or basic formula for the appropriate spring rate to choose?

thanks again and keep it coming!

will

google racetech,they have a spring chart for that.

the fronts are just as easy as the rear if not more so.

unscrew top cap,remove old,install new and screw cap back on.

You will want to revalve at the same time and consult a knowledgeable suspension guy for shim stack and oil weight. I am a lot bigger than you so mine was extreme. I used MX-Tech as they are close, gave me a great deal and had the right springs for my weight.

I'm 5'11 and 250lbs and mine feels great. That being said I bought my z used.

But the probability of the old owner weighing the same as me is at least 1000 to 1.

I say buy it ride it and then start your changes. Your going to have fun it's lakine.....

Thanks for the replies!

I am definately buying the bike this week.

Im gonna ride it as is for now and see what it feels like. I was hoping the fronts could stay stock.

Are there any TT member in Hawaii that know a good shop?

thanks, will

Just rode mine after suspension mods today...Stiffer fork springs, racetech 6.0kg rear spring, and new Avon Distanzia's 150-70/17r......bike is taller, geared higher(because of the tall rear tire) and rides firm-no wallowing AWESOME!! I'm in love again. Good Luck and YOU SUCK (for living in Hawaii):banana:

hey 2tymer did you do the suspension mods yourself? if so how was it? And of course how big are you! lol. And yea I am a lucky SOB! I got stationed Hawaii my first duty station out of boot camp! I dont know if I will ever go back to the mainland....

thanks, will