Advice needed on slightly exploded DRZ 400

So, my DRZ kinda sorta exploded last weekend. For stupid reasons I won't bore you with (read: I don't want to embarass myself any further), I'm fairly certain I put way too much oil in the bike just before I went riding. I got about a mile down the road and suddenly the bike started putting out the biggest cloud of blue smoke I've ever seen and I lost power. Seriously, this was Spy Hunter smokescreen levels of smoke; the guys riding behind me had to pull over until it cleared. I never heard any clunking or banging sounds, so my first guess is a blown head gasket, not a broken rod. Normally the head gasket wouldn't seem likely given the bike has less that 10k miles on it, but the 2 quarts of oil I stuffed down the bike's throat minutes earlier make anything seem possible. My question for the good denziens of Thumpertalk is twofold:

1. Anybody have a similar experience to this? If so, what did you find to be the issue?

2. I've got a feeling this is going to require an engine rebuild, and while I'm not a complete novice a full rebuild is outside my expertise. Instead, I'm thinking of pulling the engine and having someone else do the actual rebuild. I live in the Seattle area. Can anybody recommend shops/individuals in the area that they've had good experiences with, hopefully specifically with a rebuild?

For some reason it's possible for users to overfill these bikes with oil. I've done it too. You need Eddie Sisneros now. Check his sticky at the top of the forum for contact info. You can send your engine to him for a rework. He's in Denver area.

So was ther only 2qts. In there or did you put 2qts. In to fill up with out draining?

May not be any motor damage. Excess oil may have blown out of vent and into carb intake. Drain the oil and refill with proper amount. Start up and see if engine runs OK. May smoke for a minute or so but should be fine.

So was ther only 2qts. In there or did you put 2qts. In to fill up with out draining?

No, I didn't drain the oil/wasn't doing an oil change. I was just checking the oil level before my ride. Unfortunately I checked the oil level with the bike cold (no, I don't know what I was thinking either). The dipstick was dry after 1 quart, so I put in another. After the second quart the dipstick showed the level over the full mark, but not so much that I was alarmed. I guess I should have been.

May not be any motor damage. Excess oil may have blown out of vent and into carb intake. Drain the oil and refill with proper amount. Start up and see if engine runs OK. May smoke for a minute or so but should be fine.

My plan is to drain the oil, throw in a fresh quart and a new sparkplug, then see if I can get the bike to start. Lord knows I hope that's all this is, but I'm usually not this fortunate. Fingers crossed, though.

Dont forget to drain the tank in the frame as well and check the airbox and clean airfilter if required.

Dan

i had a similar experience when i purchased a 94 dr350. The bike had been sitting for 6 years with the original gas in it. After I drained out fuel and added fresh it started it up and the bike smoked liked bob marley. I thought the motor was toast and then i noticed oil leaking from my carb. I drained out a gallon of oil gas mix from the crankcase and the frame tank. After adding two quarts of fresh oil and letting the motor blow smoke for a couple of minutes it runs fine now.

I think you may have lucked out this time. Do the oil change and see what happens.

It would surprise me if you have actual mechanical damage. Grossly overfilled with oil, the poor motor puked the excess into your airbox boot and then on into the carb.

You may want to pull and clean the carb too. Consider it a penance to keep you from doing this again :thumbsup:

What was the out come of this did the bike run fine my bike just did the same exact thing was after a fresh rebuild bike running great throttling in 4th and same thing loss of power biggest cloud of smoke I've ever seen bike finally fired back up and limped it home smoking less but still smoking whole way home 

What was the out come of this did the bike run fine my bike just did the same exact thing was after a fresh rebuild bike running great throttling in 4th and same thing loss of power biggest cloud of smoke I've ever seen bike finally fired back up and limped it home smoking less but still smoking whole way home 

So did draining the oil and putting the correct amount in solve the problem ?

56 minutes ago, rustynut2 said:

Hang loose, its only been 7 1/2 years i'm sure they'll be right back.....

Hahahaha hey you never know I'm parting mine out pretty sure mines &%$#@! had nothing to do with overfilled oil bike has been a bastard since I got it so I'm done been in motor 3 times that's enough for me should have done it right first time and bought new parts instead of a used bottom end was trying to be in it cheap and it &%$#@!ed me so im over it it's being torn apart and sold in pieces 

On 9/21/2017 at 9:08 AM, Justsoflo said:

Hahahaha hey you never know I'm parting mine out pretty sure mines &%$#@! had nothing to do with overfilled oil bike has been a bastard since I got it so I'm done been in motor 3 times that's enough for me should have done it right first time and bought new parts instead of a used bottom end was trying to be in it cheap and it &%$#@!ed me so im over it it's being torn apart and sold in pieces 

Hey man, if you're parting it out let me know.  I have some odd ball parts I need depending on what model yours is.

Thanks!