Sign in to follow this  

rm250 clutch issue

having a slight issue with the clutch on a 2009 model rm 250, it only has 29 hours on it, and has been fine, last ride out, the clutch won't engage, as soon as i put it in gear - off we go !!

after a short ride, it eventually starts to work.

changed the oil after that ride (which was done regularly anyway) inspected the clutch (seemed fine) yet the problem is still present.

any idea's ?

thanks

having a slight issue with the clutch on a 2009 model rm 250, it only has 29 hours on it, and has been fine, last ride out, the clutch won't engage, as soon as i put it in gear - off we go !!

after a short ride, it eventually starts to work.

changed the oil after that ride (which was done regularly anyway) inspected the clutch (seemed fine) yet the problem is still present.

any idea's ?

thanks

Do you mean that the clutch will not "disengage"? If that's the case then it could be that the cable has relaxed some, and the internal parts are starting to wear a little. If that's the case then just tighten up the adjuster at the lever and you should be fine.

Or it's the oil that you've been using in the trans.

Some oils are a little sticky when they are cold, like Golden Spectro's SX 10w 30 ~ but it's designed to work under heavy MX conditions. So again it will be kind of sticky when it's cold but offer great protection and performance once it's warmed up.

sxclutchsave.jpg

An oil like their Spectro 80w is better suited to a trail or off-road rider that requires smooth clutch engagement in cold or hot conditions. It may not have the ultimate protection as 10w-30 but most of us really do not need max protection anyways.

gldngearlube.jpg

I personally use nothing but Spectro 80w in all my 2 stroke bikes. From vintage Can-Am's and Evolution RM's (early 80's) to my 2008 RM250, they all get it and they all love it.

Check it out: http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/offroad/index2.asp?products=offroad

sorry, to clear things up, the clutch would not work, and the bike would jump straight off if put into gear, or stall if the back brake is on.

i am using a putoline light gear oil, which i have always used one the majority of all my bikes.

the clutch plates do not look worn at all, the bike has 29 hours on, no where near heavy abuse.

thanks

i would take a real close look at the basket/plates/springs etc, and make sure they are in spec. also make sure the torque settings for the springs etc are exact and per the manual instructions...dont change the oil you use

yeh its all adusted properly, have even taken all the slack out, to see whaat happens with no joy !!