Sign in to follow this  

Boysen Water pump/oil filter cover thread stripped!!!

Last night I was replacing my oil filter and I was taking off the oil filter cover on the oil filter/water pump cover. I have the infamous 2004 RMZ 250 that came with a one piece water pump cover and oil filter cover, so I got the Boysen Magnesium cover for easy access. Anyway, I took the upper right hand bolt out and the threads came out with it! It looks like Boysen used heli-coil for their threads on the upper right hand side bolt. The other 2 longer bolts go into the case, but the short one just goes into the actual magnesium cover of the whole water pump system. I bought the Heli-Coil 6mm kit, but is that the right size to go with? The bolt is 8mm head, but the 8mm Heli-Coil insert is too large. I haven't done anything yet because I wanted to get some advice from this wealth of knowledge we call TT. :thumbsup:

A bolt with an 8mm head is most likely a 6mm thread. All the ones on my Yamaha are. Try the helicoil on the bolt it will be a little loose with the 6mm on a 6mm bolt the 8mm will be huge.