Sign in to follow this  

Need some opinins

I have been looking for a 2000 to 2002 YZ250 (need a green sticker).

Is 2002 motor much better than the 2000?

I will be doing mostly desert riding.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks

I have been doing a lot of reading on this site.

Seems like the are just some small changes to the frame and engine.

Thanks

I have been doing a lot of reading on this site.

Seems like the are just some small changes to the frame and engine.

The reason you would want an 02 instead of the 2000 is the plastic change. The tank, seat and sidepanals are of the new style on the 2002 bike. It actually made a decent improvement in seating position when they went to the new stuff.

One thing to consider is that the '02 motor is current model spec. so it may be easier to find replacement parts in years to come.

Thanks for all the info, I will narrow my search for and 02.

If I end up with a stock bike, I am guessing I should do the top end, some suspension (which I will need some help with) and fluids.

Any additional help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for all the input.

One thing to consider is that the '02 motor is current model spec. so it may be easier to find replacement parts in years to come.

My buddies 00 motor is exactly the same as mine (05).

I think that either bike will be a good choice. The parts availability is going to be pretty much the same in years to come. The only difference is that the crank is a slight bit different and thus the stator/flywheel is a bit different also. From what I hear, you can swap out the 99-00 crank with a newer model year crank if you also change the stator/flywheel. I love my 2000 and would like to update, but the style of riding that I do, I can't justify getting rid of a capable single track bike that can hang with pretty much anything else out there.

Thanks for the info. How does a 02 yz250 compare to and 02 rm250?

I am going to be doing mostly desert riding and most of the guys have KTM 530 and there are a couple the have 450's.

Thx

my main concern with a RM would be how stable it is going to be at desert speeds. The yammi's tend to have really good stability at speed, and it sounds like that is the type of riding you are into.

Thanks, from what I have read it seems that the YZ and RM are about the best out of the four brands then there is the KTM300.

I have an 02 yz250 for sale in san jose, ca. Has the suspension work done by factory connection. Motor starts up first or second kick every time. Bike has new plastics and muffler. It has not been raced. I am selling this bike because I purchased it for a friend and it is just to much bike for him. Need to get my money out of it and get something different. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you pictures and we can discuse price.