Sign in to follow this  

Cam ?

I am am adding some parts and I have a new big bore kit and FCR 39 MX to install, I also have a set of used Hot Cams but the intake cam is not rotating smoothly so have decided to wait to finish my project, I put the stock intake cam in and no problem it moves like it should, does a set of Hot Cams make that much more of a difference with the big bore kit and carb? If not will go ahead and finish my motor project thanks! Havent paid anything for the used cams I had got from a friend. I am planning on the MRD pipe too before it gets rode!

If you can get hold of a DTI (Dial Test Indicator), you can check that it's running true. Obviously the cams have a lot of throw, but I assume that that's not what you mean. Any engineering shop will be able to check quickly easily and cheaply for you, if you don't have the tools.

I checked the valve clearance, with the Hot Cam Intake and it was fine. My Suzuki Manual said could set valve clearance up to .20mm so that is what I set my clearances at on the intake and .30mm on Exhaust clearance!

mel - I'm not sure Hot Cams use the same clearance as OEM cams. As for the binding, check to see if the bind is from the fillet radius next to the cam journal. Some Hot cams will interfere with the head but just a little relief of the head takes care of the problem.

camlobe.jpg

Check to see your intake isnt rubbing at the point highlighted in the pic . Julles74 told me about this when I put mine in last year and he was spot on . The cam chain follower/guide sometimes fouls the intake cam , so you have to remove some material from it , greg :thumbsup:

I checked the valve clearance, with the Hot Cam Intake and it was fine. My Suzuki Manual said could set valve clearance up to .20mm so that is what I set my clearances at on the intake and .30mm on Exhaust clearance!

Well, then you're far off.

Hotcams intake should be 0.10->0.15mm and 0.15->0.20 on the exhausts

here's a link to the install instructions :

http://www.hotcamsinc.com/documents/support/Hot_Cams_DRZKLXLTZKFX_400_Camshaft__1160147200701.pdf