Sign in to follow this  

mexico

so i hear about all these kidnappings in mexico for ransom and even watched a show on dateline last night about it. is this really how mexico is? i would like to one day go down and watch the baja 1000 with a group of my friends but not if im gonna get my truck stolen, beat up, and held for ransom. anyone ever been? is there any tips or rules i should follow if i ever go down there?

• Like 1

I just got back from a Baja ride earlier in the week. Baja is fine, safe and the road-side taco stands make some gooooooood food.

797900260_TdhUs-L.jpg

797899409_MdRGw-L.jpg

is there any tips or rules i should follow if i ever go down there?

Was told by frequent Baja travelers to stay away from the bars and whores and you will have no problems.

I worry more about going to NYC or Houston.

:thumbsup:

I try to get down there at least once a month. I've been going pretty consistently for the past 10 years and never had a single problem. I love the people of Baja - for the most part, they are very welcoming and appreciate our company down there.

Most of what you read, see and hear is happening in mainland Mexico, not Baja. The kidnappings occur predominantly to wealthy Mexicans or those with close ties to money in Mexico. That particular story about Mexico on Dateline is so far removed from Baja, it's not even worth talking about here.

The recent storms have ravaged Baja and a lot of the locals are left to clean up a pretty big mess. They could use our money now - so bring a smile and make sure to wave at the kids and locals and ride slow through towns and villages.

Baja is beautiful - I highly recommend it!

IMG_3074.jpg

^^ awesome pic! well looks like ill try and make a trip down there sometime then! is there anywhere in particular that people ride? and anywhere thats a great spot to check out the 1000?

so i hear about all these kidnappings in mexico for ransom and even watched a show on dateline last night about it. is this really how mexico is? i would like to one day go down and watch the baja 1000 with a group of my friends but not if im gonna get my truck stolen, beat up, and held for ransom. anyone ever been? is there any tips or rules i should follow if i ever go down there?

...kind of a loaded question (pun intended) :ride:

It's one of those things... yes, they have been (roll tape back to the "Hall" family" scenario), however a one in a million. And it's less of a chance still up to this point of any bum of a dirt biker getting held, let alone ransom'd.

Even though I know what I do about Baja, kidnappings, the gore, and who is the common target I'd say the chances of being caught, held, and tortured are far more "far off" than one in a million. I just don't want to be the "one". :lol: ...and I love the place, and all it has to offer. I just choose to stay North of the border more and more lately.

If you go.. have fun, ride with the wind in your back and have a beer and a taco for me :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Was told by frequent Baja travelers to stay away from the bars and whores and you will have no problems.

No one ever told me that:foul::thumbsup::ride:

I feel safer in baja than I do going out to Garnet Ave on a fri/sat night for some drinks.

This is pretty much some basic advise no matter where ya are. Just ask SNR.

Mexico is awesome and I love to go every chance I get (usually 2 or 3 times per year).

I had a very expensive car helmet stolen down there, and that put a big damper on my trip, but bottom line is that could've happened anywhere (& does).

I definitely recommend it- just be smart when you go, meaning, don't do wheelies thru the middle of town and party as if there are no rules. If you do, you'll quickly find out otherwise. Do all of your travels during the day and caravan whenever possible. Just use common sense, that's all. It sounds almost ridiculous to say it here but you'd be amazed at how many people get south of the border & turn into idiots.

Durangoman; your avatar and the picture of fish tacos is overloading my brain. Good thing I'm going down to San Felipe on Wednesday. Those tacos look too good!!

I haven't missed a Baja 1000 since 1972. Times are a bit different now, but if you use some common sense you should be fine. An attempt was made to steal my truck in La Paz many years ago, but my trusty homemade cutoff switch saved the day. Lock your stuff up and be careful where you park and you should be fine. When you get ready to go post on this site again and ask for a list of recommendations - you'll get plenty and most of them will be good ones.:banana:

I haven't missed a Baja 1000 since 1972. Times are a bit different now, but if you use some common sense you should be fine. An attempt was made to steal my truck in La Paz many years ago, but my trusty homemade cutoff switch saved the day. Lock your stuff up and be careful where you park and you should be fine. When you get ready to go post on this site again and ask for a list of recommendations - you'll get plenty and most of them will be good ones.:lol:

thanks so much guys. i will definitely. maybe i could meet up with some of you and we can all check out the race together. :banana:

Get Mexico insurance for your vehicle - that should give you some peace of mind

If you camp, you might look into where BFG pits are and camp in the general area so you are not all by yourself. At the same time, if you camp in areas heavy with people, expect the beers to flow and the music to be loud all night long and all day too.

You might be tempted to bring down the bikes. Could be fun, but remember not to ride on the course and that you have to keep an eye on them.

For spectating, I like the San Felipe 250 or the Baja 500 better. Night time comes too early for the 1000 in November and its pretty cold. It is more fun to watch most of the bikes, trucks and buggies in the daytime and the action is not as spread out. It also depends where you plan to watch the races at.

Not to trivialize the kidnappings and crimes in Mexico, but your biggest risk down in Mexico is driving on the roads. Except for the toll roads and a few others, most paved roads are two lanes, and thats barely wide enough for 2 vehicles with little extra room on the sides. On race day, there will be a lot of chase vehicles and spectators going out to a spot. A lot of dumb passing and driving takes place that day.

FYI, Saturday is the San Felipe 250. I don't know what part of AZ you are from, but you might be close enough to see a race this weekend. good times

Get Mexico insurance for your vehicle - that should give you some peace of mind

If you camp, you might look into where BFG pits are and camp in the general area so you are not all by yourself. At the same time, if you camp in areas heavy with people, expect the beers to flow and the music to be loud all night long and all day too.

You might be tempted to bring down the bikes. Could be fun, but remember not to ride on the course and that you have to keep an eye on them.

For spectating, I like the San Felipe 250 or the Baja 500 better. Night time comes too early for the 1000 in November and its pretty cold. It is more fun to watch most of the bikes, trucks and buggies in the daytime and the action is not as spread out. It also depends where you plan to watch the races at.

Not to trivialize the kidnappings and crimes in Mexico, but your biggest risk down in Mexico is driving on the roads. Except for the toll roads and a few others, most paved roads are two lanes, and thats barely wide enough for 2 vehicles with little extra room on the sides. On race day, there will be a lot of chase vehicles and spectators going out to a spot. A lot of dumb passing and driving takes place that day.

FYI, Saturday is the San Felipe 250. I don't know what part of AZ you are from, but you might be close enough to see a race this weekend. good times

good info. if i didnt have a massive amount of schoolwork i would say i would go. but this/next year im gonna try and plan on going to a lot of races. im about to start on my truck after saving for what seems like forever, but after that i really want to go and hit all the races and have a good time.i wouldnt mind the crazy driving because az is full of crazy drivers anyway and living next to a golf/elderly/nursing home community doesnt help either, so im used to the frequent "scooter darting out" or "golfcart not stopping at a stop sign" so im almost qualified for it ha. :banana::lol: im over in east mesa. ive heard that the mexican insurance is a joke, mainly from guys who have lost their chase trucks and never heard a word from the insurance company. but hey believe nothing you read and only half of what you see right?

good info. if i didnt have a massive amount of schoolwork i would say i would go. but this/next year im gonna try and plan on going to a lot of races. im about to start on my truck after saving for what seems like forever, but after that i really want to go and hit all the races and have a good time.i wouldnt mind the crazy driving because az is full of crazy drivers anyway and living next to a golf/elderly/nursing home community doesnt help either, so im used to the frequent "scooter darting out" or "golfcart not stopping at a stop sign" so im almost qualified for it ha. :banana::lol: im over in east mesa. ive heard that the mexican insurance is a joke, mainly from guys who have lost their chase trucks and never heard a word from the insurance company. but hey believe nothing you read and only half of what you see right?

Not an expert in this however having gone down to SF a couple times /yr for several years (shrimp season:thumbsup:) I know that (unless things have changed) Mexican Insurance is "required" regardless if it's a joke....and IF you were in an accident you are guilty until proven innocent...is this still the case?

Not an expert in this however having gone down to SF a couple times /yr for several years (shrimp season:thumbsup:) I know that (unless things have changed) Mexican Insurance is "required" regardless if it's a joke....and IF you were in an accident you are guilty until proven innocent...is this still the case?

Yes - if you are driving in Mexico, insurance is required. If you were to get in an accident without insurance and the policia were involved, you're in for a very, very expensive and time consuming adventure.

www.bajabound.com

www.bajabound.com insurance - Highly recommend - I totaled a truck, had an insurance adjuster waiting for me when I was towed into town and had a check from the insurance company in no time at all. Easy to purchase online.

Was told by frequent Baja travelers to stay away from the whores and you will have no problems.

One girl had crabs for like a week, and suddenly the whole industry is under attack?

Hey Justin, dose Bajabound insure dirt bikes against theft? I can only find insurance on street legal bikes.

Hey Justin, dose Bajabound insure dirt bikes against theft? I can only find insurance on street legal bikes.

Not that I would do it myself, but if someone had a policy on their dirt bike with say StateFarm or some other US insurer and they lost their bike in Baja but didn't notice it missing until after a drunkin' night camping in say Jawbone....:banana:

mtz