Sign in to follow this  

Broke Fork Axle Holder Stud

Just my luck.....

Today I pulled off my front wheel to put my fixed odometer housing back on. I went to tighten the axle holder nuts and bam , snapped one off. To deep to grab the stud with vise grips. Out comes the drill. I drill very slowly trying to be careful to not drill to far into the stud so I dont poke out the other side into my fork , cant imagine what would happen if I did. BAM , to far , fork oil leaking out the hole. Drilled straight threw into my fork tube. I tried getting the drilled bolt out so I can stick a new stud in there and stop the leak. Frustrated beyond belief , cant find the smallest e-z out to my set , I said #@&$ it and filled the hole with JB Weld and put the 3 remaining bolts in , I replaced the butter studs with steel bolts.

So now my questions , does the bottom of the fork tube come off so I can replace it ? How safe is it if the JB weld stops the oil leak and I only ride with 3 of the 4 holder bolts in place. Anyone got a right fork tube they wanna let go cheap ? Will CR250 or CR125 forks slide right in and work with my triple clamps ? Im really not wanting to spend 300 bucks on 1 new right OEM lower fork case.

dsc00865j.jpg

Edited by r00t4rd3d

Can you not drain the oil out and then remove the old stud and simply replace with a new 1 with thread lock around it ?, should be fine then refill with oil ?.

Wouldn't replace the lower section just yet ?.

OUCH!!!!!:ride:

I thought their was nuts on that part (like my '03 XR 400), unless your model is older?

That, actually is the 1st time I heard of someone doing that:banghead:

Good luck!!

Let us know how/if you fix it.:thumbsup:

Their was studs with nuts on them. I replaced them with normal bolts after the one snapped.

I am gonna try to tap the hole one size bigger.

Wow, that is one ginormous kick in the balls. I don't have any expirience with JB Weld, but I think it will stop the oil leak. As for riding with only three bolts, IDK. Could work, but could also fail under a hard landing or impact.

Everything I've read on this forum about swapping in CR forks is that people keep the CR triple clamp, get a new bearing set and/or get the stem machined down to size. Or you could machine out the stock triples, but IDK what you would do about your odometer.

You should be ok with three studs but dont hold me to it. JB weld should be fine but you have to make sure that the hole is clean and roughed up so that the jb weld can bond better. And home depo has a set of small easy outs for about 20 dollars.

I had a pair of XR400 forks offered to me for the cost of shipping :banana:

Are the 400 and 250 forks the same diameter ? I imagine they have different valve/spring set ups but I need to know if they will just slide in my triples.

Any issues I am gonna have going to 400 forks ? I see the axle's are different.

I know for sure that a XR205R has 41mm KYB forks, and from what I found, the XR400 has 43mm Showa forks. So if you do get those forks, you're going to have to change somthing on you triples, either machine the clamps, or get a USD conversion kit and a new triple clamp to fit the 43mm forks.