Sign in to follow this  

California Couple of mammoth bar questions

Let me start by saying I tried calling the park # yesterday and didn't get an answer, so I have just a couple questions -

are mammoth bar and Georgetown the same thing?

Will all the trails be open tomorrow (Sunday)?

A friend told me it was super greasy and muddy a couple weeks ago, still this way?

Thanks for any info

I would call first in the morning. Georgetown and Mammoth Bar, and Foresthill are 3 different places. From reading on the US Forest websites, Foresthill and Georgetown are closed for the winter basically if I understand it right. Mammoth bar has closures after a rainy period. They need at least 24 hours of no rain. I think Sunday should be open. There are parts that are really muddy and puddles but it dries out pretty quickly in my opinion. At least in comparison to Prarie City...

Mammoth bar should be open tomorrow (sunday). They will close from rain, but it has been pretty dry since Wednesday or something. I would certainly check before you go, but I think it's fine. Like was mentioned, mammoth is completely different from Georgetown. Georgetown SHOULD also be open tomorrow. I would recommend going there if it is open, it's a shit load better than mammoth and you can cover all the trails at mammoth in a hour.

Call either place before trying, but they will only close due to rain. They have to receive no rain for 48 hours for them to reopen after a rain closure, so I think it should be fine right now. Neither should be THAT muddy. GT will have some wet spots and tons of puddles, but the ground there is usually pretty tacky. Same goes for Mammoth.

Have fun.