Sign in to follow this  

What is the difference between a KLR & KLX 650?

I have been looking at buying a KLR 650 when I could not find any in my area I came across a 1996 KLX 650 I notice this is street legal which is what I am after I also need a good bad and ugly list before I purchase to know what to look for when negotiating a price the bike appears clean has two seats one is lower than the other Has a lowering kit Installed? The bike Has 46000 km less than 30,000 miles I would also like to know this problem with the "doohickey" is ther a obvious symptoms to listen for?

Different bikes.... KLX was only offered in the U.S for 3 years, while there's a million KLRs. Very limited aftermarket for the X, some parts hard to find (so I'm told). Small gas tank, wonky color schemes, but bigger, better forks on the X, and it quite a bit lighter. Engine is almost completely different. As I recall, the balancer is gear driven... no balancer chain, no "doo".

I was looking into getting one but the owner decided not to sell (well... and he couldn't find the title either). If the price was right I would do it. There is a couple KLX boards out there... yahoo I think... I was on it , but that was a couple years a ago. some of the KLR sites have a X spot.

Try this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159970&highlight=klx650