Sign in to follow this  

New BRP owner today

Well shes not red but white.:thumbsup: I went and picked up a 1993 XR650L with only 1940miles. I couldnt stop smileing when I first laid eyes on her.:ride: This bikes harldy been rode. Stock everything and a shop manual to boot. Just unloaded it and took it for a quick spin. Its a little high geared but talk about power to get up and go. I was riding a XR250L but it will be going up for sale, this BRP is here to stay. One thing I noticed is the brakeing power seems a little week on both ends.It didnt lock up the wheels like I would like it to. So I guess I'll pull the pads and rough them up a little or maybe get a more agressive set. I would also like to change the side pannel color from blue to white. Anyone reccomend a way to get the blue off or replace? Guess I rambling but wanted to say I'm now a member of the club.:ride:Hope you guys dont mind if I hang out for a while. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Congrats on the pig. I had a 93 L also. Great bike and lots of fun. Get those pics on here.:thumbsup:

On the brakes, I would give them a good look over and definitely change the fluid and give them a bleed.

Bill

1.) One thing I noticed is the brakeing power seems a little week on both ends.It didnt lock up the wheels like I would like it to. So I guess I'll pull the pads and rough them up a little or maybe get a more agressive set.

2.) I would also like to change the side pannel color from blue to white. Anyone reccomend a way to get the blue off or replace?

1.) You might try bleeding/flushing the brakes first. It may or may not improve the braking power, but it likely needs to be changed anyway. My 600's brakes are the same design as yours and I can lock the front knobby on pavement. The rear is a bit weak by itself on pavement, but not on dirt and especially not when used in conjunction with the front.

2.) There was a thread in the last eight months or so about stripping the blue from side covers, but I'm having trouble finding it. I think brake cleaner was mentioned...