Sign in to follow this  

Considering purchase of NEW 2008 or 2009

I would like recommendations on the purchase of either a 2008 or 2009 CRF 450R. I am currently riding a CRF 250X but have been riding motocross more recently. I am not going to be racing regularly and then only 40+ class/Beginner Class.

I do not plan to do any modifications or performance upgrades just want a nice MX bike.

Price for NEW 2008 $4,299 Includes all FRT, Set-up

Price for NEW 2009 $4,899 Includes all FRT, Set-Up

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am over 40 class rider. I own an 08 and have ridden the 09. I prefer the ergonomics and power dilivery of the 08. Prior to the 08 I had an 03, so maybe I am just used to the feel of the older bikes. The 09 has a more abrupt power delivery (some describe as hurky jerky) that seemed to tire me out quicker. The 08 has good pull on the bottom and smoother deliery. I did have the same stalling problems on the 08 as the 03 until I installed a Rekluse Z start Pro and an R&D power pump. Don't know if the EFI helps with this. Good luck.

Just had the same decision to make as well... I went with the 08. Got 5 hours on it now and I'm glad I went with the 08. Big change from my last bike, an 04 450, but still familiar at the same time.

i just got the 09. I had the 08 last year, rode my buddy's 09 a few times back to back last year and i like the 09 better everytime. And it was stock too. But mine wont be, ive already done a good amount to it. But its all personal opinion i guess. If you get a chance to ride them both that would help. The 08 has more motor. But i feel the handling out weighs that from the 09.

definatly go 08

Please fill us in how, with the wealth of your 13 years of knowledge, you came this conclusion? I'm not trying to be a jerk here but have you ridden or owned both or just read a bunch of "reviews" in mags and online.

Anyway, back to the op's question. It is in my opinion that if your going to buy a new bike why buy a dated design? Your already losing your ass off when you walk out the door, especially with an '08. But, I suppose, if you want "out of the box" good buy the dinosaur.

Yes, buy the '08 "dinosaur" that MXA states is better than the '09. You know, the one, along with the '07, that they state is one of the best 10 bikes made in the last ten years.

Buy the "dated design" because it's better in stock form than the newer one. As far as loosing your ass is concerned, you'll do that on both. Not really a valid argument for either.

You '09 guys kill me with the insults. Some of you can't even give an objective answer. :thumbsup::ride:

Am I correct in understanding that the '08 that will remain in stock form for a casual MX rider would be "easier" to ride for a 40yr old beginning rider? I initially thought I would go with a 250R but I can get this new 450R for less than or equal to any 250R.

With all motorcycles I go in with the understanding that it is not an investment but rather a nice escape from the confines of the office much like golf, fishing, etc.

I would like recommendations on the purchase of either a 2008 or 2009 CRF 450R. I am currently riding a CRF 250X but have been riding motocross more recently. I am not going to be racing regularly and then only 40+ class/Beginner Class.

I do not plan to do any modifications or performance upgrades just want a nice MX bike.

Price for NEW 2008 $4,299 Includes all FRT, Set-up

Price for NEW 2009 $4,899 Includes all FRT, Set-Up

Thanks in advance for your help.

Based on your description, buy the '08 and take the $600.00 to set-up your suspension, even a beginner can benefit from that, and the forks especially need it. While you're at it, put a good chain on it (OE Honda chains suck!).

Bottom-line, the '08 is a very refined bike without the teething problems that you might find with the '09.

Am I correct in understanding that the '08 that will remain in stock form for a casual MX rider would be "easier" to ride for a 40yr old beginning rider?

The '08 has less bottom end so, IMO, that would make it easier to ride than a bike with alot of it. I haven't had a chance to ride an '09 but the reviews state that it has alot of bottom end. The '08 has an incredible pull through the RPM's though so you're definitely not going to lack for power.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

PS: That is a big jump from a 250X so, if you get the chance, you'd benefit from riding a 450 first for sure.

If it was me in your circumstance,I would pick the 08 and get the suspension revalved by someone reputable like RG3. The chassis is much more stable an just plain less drama than the 09,the front end feels "light and twitchy" as if the weight bias has been moved reward too much on the 09.

After owning a FI bike I could not imagine owning anything else! I rode an 07 last week and quickly remembered how much hassle carbs are. Always messing with the fuel screw and changing jetting for different elevations and then for the winter riding. FI bikes run perfect all the time, regardless of temp and elevation. For me this a huge selling point, I will never own a carb'd bike again.

You would be very happy with either bike! But I have to say the 09 gets my vote. Much lighter, smoother power, no valve problems, oh and did I mention FI. The 08 has butal power, especially for a beginner. If you can pick up an 09 for a couple hundred more than an 08 I can not think of any reason not to.

Gee whiz I must respectfully disagree with Mr.crawfishoo,on several points.FI bikes do not run perfect all the time,especially an 09 with the stock map in the ECM much harder to start than a carbed bike and before remapping it is a stall o matic.Put a adjustable leak jet on a FCR carb dial in the fuel screw and you are pretty much good to go.Lighter Hardly it is mostly the feeling of the weight bias being moved rearward and to my mind much too far rearward.Brutal power,the 08 has about the softest power delivery of any 450 up to that time owing to the separate ignition maps in the first 3 gears.No valve problems on the 09,neither better or worse than previous years just newer and closer to new than all the others,Again others have an opinion,I have mine,thanks for listening,cheers

I really dont think it matters what you get, a rider in the vet class at your level will enjoy riding on either bike. I feel its always better to get the newer year but you will ride just the same on either bike. It seems that people who dont have the 09 have bad things to say about it from stupid magazine reviews. And people who have 09's that ride anything older have bad things to say about the 08's. You will have fun and ride the same on either bike all this wont matter.

Very much agree with Xxxracing... Anyone that owns an 09 knows how much better they are than the older models. Those that have older models love them, and they should! I owned 3 of them before I got my 09, I loved them. But after owning several older models and currently having an 09, it is my opinion that the 09 is superior in every aspect. I honestly can not think of anything I perfer about the older models over the 09.

And just a side note... the 09 air filter actually fits into the airbox and can removed without using three hands and a magician. If you change your filter as often as you should, that fact alone would sell me on the 09.

holy crap that is dirt cheap for a brand new bike!!!

the US must REALLY be hurting for money right now.

back in 2008, I paid 4800$ for my 2005 crf 450r and it was used, but lightly.

now, a used 2008 around here will cost you 6500-7000$ CAD

a used 09 will cost you around 7500 CAD

a new 09 is also around 8000$+

its almost worth it to sell everything I have, drive to the states, buy a bunch of 09s for practically nothing, bring them back to canada and almost double my money!!! seriously!!

Edited by Santan9

It's all about what people are willing to pay for a noncurrent bike.

Gee whiz I must respectfully disagree with Mr.crawfishoo,on several points.FI bikes do not run perfect all the time,especially an 09 with the stock map in the ECM much harder to start than a carbed bike and before remapping it is a stall o matic.Put a adjustable leak jet on a FCR carb dial in the fuel screw and you are pretty much good to go.Lighter Hardly it is mostly the feeling of the weight bias being moved rearward and to my mind much too far rearward.Brutal power,the 08 has about the softest power delivery of any 450 up to that time owing to the separate ignition maps in the first 3 gears.No valve problems on the 09,neither better or worse than previous years just newer and closer to new than all the others,Again others have an opinion,I have mine,thanks for listening,cheers

Here is an opinion about your opinion.....

blablai.gif