Sign in to follow this  

2003 KX85 Rebuild Thread with Pics

Here is an 03 kx85 i got off of craigslist for 750 cash. the guy said it needed nothing and there was a new pro-x piston kit in it. once i went to go pick it up, the bike looked okay but the rear sprocket was totally bent and wasted. bald tires too from being road ridden. compression check was acceptable so i started it (1 kick) and it ran so horribly lean on the low rpms. i noticed there was no air screw in the carb. but overall it was worth 750 so i took it home and tore the top end apart. the spark plug seemed burnt, cylinder walls were scraped up, and the piston was cracked on the exhaust side! the funny thing was that the piston had less than hour on it, but was minutes away from imploding and destroying the entire motor from such lean conditions. my $400 worth of parts has been ordered, cylinder is getting re-sleeved, stripped bolts and hardware are all getting replaced, new tires, piston, gaskets, seals and o-rings, sprockets, chain, AIR SCREW, the list goes on. oh yeah the bottom end is good, no up and down movement on the rod whatsoever, and minimal side movement. well thats it for the long story. came with a pro circuit pipe front to back as well which is awesome. clean title too. but man, this bike loves me so much for saving it.

here are the posted pics on craigslist and also what it looked like before i tore it down

2003kx851.jpg

2003kx85.jpg

heres the teardown pic as of last week. ill have new update pics for next weekend

projectkx85.jpg

I just started tearing apart a 2005 Kx 85 that I picked up for my son last week. It is in fairly good shape. New tires and graphics, plastic pretty good too. But they did not do any basic maintenance:banghead:.

It needs new rear wheel bearing and linkage bearings, the rest were good. I ordered new top end, handlebars, throttle and clutch cables, and the bearings.

There is also alot of small things that were broken and never repaired. The plastic guide for the lower fork guard, the guide for the front brake line, and missing bolts all over.

Hopefully next weekend I will get it all back together. Good luck on yours:thumbsup:.

Time for an update! Struggled getting the old chain adjusters out, and replaced them with brand new OEM ones. Here in the pics i have the rear wheel on, rear brakes work too. The wheel has 2 new spokes, new bearings and seals, new sedona tire, and new oem 49t sprocket. for next weekend the bike will be complete and ill have more pics and a video of its first run. im still waiting on the cylinder which will arrive re-sleeved this week, and also new fiber plates and springs for the clutch. this is basically as far as i can get without the top end on.

019-1.jpg

018.jpg

020-1.jpg

Nice project....should have put on a 52 tooth sprocket.It really makes a diffrence....

Good to see a bike saved from the dead!!!:thumbsup:

My son's 06 KX85 dropped a ring on the weekend and trashed the piston and scored the barrel pretty badly, to get the barrel re done in Nikosil and a wisco rebuild kit is AU$600 (US$550) here in OZ.To get it machined and have a cast sleeve pressed in is a few dollars dearer. What sort of prices would I be looking at in The US to get it done or get a new barrel and the rebuild kit.

Anyone recommend a good place in the States that can do the work for me?

well i just had a cly. redone (03 kx85)new pistion rings bearing (comp. top end kit, westco) for around 300.00 bucks !! and the cly. looks new with a littil more porting!

i got the topend kit from a dealer and he sent the cly. off for me but I can find out who he sent it to if you would like ??

Yeah Mate that would be great, as you can see we get screwed here in Australia for parts and labour. It is rediculous that I can get the job done on the other side of the world and save a few hundred bucks in doing so.

Eric Gorr is one person that was recommended to me as the gun 2 stroke man. I need this done quickly as our race season starts this weekend,we have borrowed a bike for the next race meeting but I want this bike going asap,it would be just my luck for the loaner to blow up on me too.

finally got my re-sleeved cylinder back. clutch plates and springs are installed too along with other stuff. MAJOR compression. the motor is done all i have to do is get another bottle of carb cleaner and clean up the carb and get some fluids (coolant, oil), finish the bike this week and its good to go.

001.jpg

002.jpg

004.jpg

You have a plethera of bikes back their. What do you have?

I have/had the following...

2005 suzuki rm250 (sold last december)

026.jpg

024.jpg

2005 kawasaki kx250 (brand new dealer leftover, and my main bike)

021.jpg

022.jpg

1997 kawasaki kx125 (sold october 08)

087.jpg

1999 kawasaki kx250 (still have it, my fathers bike)

IMG_00183.jpg

2002 kawasaki kx65 (little brothers bike that really never gets used at all)

003.jpg

2008 yamaha ttr110 (still have it, family play bike)

IMG_00019.jpg