Sign in to follow this  

My first KTM

I recently bought a new '09 530 wc-w. I have had quite a few bikes over the years. The last was a yz426f but this is my first KTM. I rode it about 25 miles yesterday in the desert, can't get to the single track yet (snow). I really like how smooth the power is, not to say that smooth = weak, because when you pour the coals to it, it has plenty. I like the ergos as well, I'm fairly tall and the bike seems to fit me better than the yz :banana:The most noticable thing to me was the tranny difference, I never ride mx so the yz was geared down for st and it made the gears close and the top end slow but it had amazing hit. With the ktm the gears are spaced better and the top end is crazy fast,I really like the feel of it so I should get used to it quick. I was wondering if there are any tips or pointers some of you KTM veterans could give me regarding maint., setup, do's,dont's, thigs to add things to avoid. Just some info for a guy thats new to KTM. BTW, I love riding that 530 it's bad ass.

First welcome to the Orange side. The 530 is a great bike and only needs minor setup. First a JD Jet Kit will make it run even better and maybe a little suspension setup and you are good to go. Sag height is very important for turning. If you are less than 150 lbs or over 180 you will need springs