Sign in to follow this  

Timing cover screws/plugs.

Can someone tell me what the 4 ( 2 on each side) plugs /allen mushroom headed screws on the side of the timing cover, between the tappet plugs are for? I think 1 of mine is leaking. Will they just tighten up, or can I take 1 out to put thread locker on without anything on the inside dropping off? Do they have any sort of 'o' ring?

Thanks.

Don't pull those out. Those locate the sub rocker arms. They only get a copper washer under the head. Try getting a new washer. You'll need to pull the head cover to replace it so you can realign the sub rocker arm.

You can check them for the proper tightness. They are supposed to get 20 ft. lbs.

If it's not leaking like a sieve but just more or less leaving an oily trace around the area after a ride, I'd let it go.

Well despite the good advice I just had to go and tighten the bolt when out at an MX track, didn't have a torque wrench just an allen key.

The back one tightened a bit, but not much. All was good, or so I thought.

About 10 mins in the session the head started making a noise like loud tappets being out of adjustment. I know they WERE pretty spot on.

What with the power not seeming to be affected I carried on for the next 10mins. When I got back to my van I noticed the bolt that I had tightened was out by about 1/8 in.

My question now is what damage could have been caused by the bolt coming partly out? And what has caused the loud tapping, valves, cam, tappets?

Tomorrow when my bike is cold I will re-check the clearances, and remove the top cover to inspect, just wanted to know what to expect.