Sign in to follow this  

Attention all NON-USA (foreign) XR owners!

Question for you:

Everywhere I've been to or seen outside the US, the Honda XR/XL seems to be as popular as a snow cone stand in hell! Why are they so coveted overseas? Central and South America are loaded with them. Phillipines and OZ has tons of 'em! Even Europe still has a bunch! Not only are there lots of them, the ones I've seen are all in really good shape, and their owners act as if they are sitting on the latest and greatest 2010 bike! There is clearly a pride in ownership with this bike that's universal and doesn't exist with other makes and models. Is it simply a matter of their reliability that makes them so popular overseas?:thumbsup:

This is a interesting observation Buckrun. It makes you wonder what was the reason to stop sales in the US. We've all seen the electric start model still available over seas. Are we (Americans) just not interested enough in anything less than the mighty 450's?:thumbsup:

I have pride in ownership of my 03 XR250R. Having said that, I would have more pride in ownership if I could figure out a way to lay hands on the 06+ Euro XR250R/L tank/shroud combo (very similar to CRF150/230F).

All cause Honda wants to release new models that cost more and dont last as long.

They want our American dollars.

I have to say again, "Is it simply a matter of their reliability that makes them popular outside the US?"

I'd really like to hear answers from the four corners of the world where TT has members, and get their opinions and experience with the XR/XL. No offense to US TT'ers, but I want to know why others outside "our world" hold this bike in such high esteem above all others?

well for the snotty slippy twisty trails i tend to ride i cant think of anything more apropriate,

i dont need anything faster ,an alloy frame or more sophisticated suspension, my 20+ year old 250/280 copes well enough,and with the minimum of maintenance should

keep going for a few more years yet.

i love mine because it is the right tool for the job,i really dont know what could replace it,so im keeping hold of it,

we dont get new xr's over here think the latest we got was 06

I`m from Serbia(Europe)...

I like XR`s,becouse thay are durable,reliable and easy/cheap to maintenance...

And besides that-I don`t have any problem,to ride with my friends,which are on new or 1-2 years old EXC`s/WR`s/TE`s,etc.

I was thinking to buy some modern enduro bike several times,but my Xr600r(`94) and X400r(`98) are just indestructible!

Longevity,reliability and low-cost maintenance are not features of modern enduro bikes,so...

I prefer bikes,like XR400r and DR350.

Anyway,Xr`s are not,that much popular,over here...

People like to throw their,hard earned,money in the air...

Globalization,consumer culture...

It`s here!

I`m from Serbia(Europe)...

I like XR`s,becouse thay are durable,reliable and easy/cheap to maintenance...

And besides that-I don`t have any problem,to ride with my friends,which are on new or 1-2 years old EXC`s/WR`s/TE`s,etc.

I was thinking to buy some modern enduro bike several times,but my Xr600r(`94) and X400r(`98) are just indestructible!

Longevity,reliability and low-cost maintenance are not features of modern enduro bikes,so...

I prefer bikes,like XR400r and DR350.

Anyway,Xr`s are not,that much popular,over here...

People like to throw their,hard earned,money in the air...

Globalization,consumer culture...

It`s here!

Hi Ivan,

It sounds like, from the "Anyway, XR's are not, that much, popular, over here..." statement, that you guys in Yugoslavia are taking after the U.S.

I think the only reason that we don't see XRs here, which has been stated many times, so I am not the creator of this idea, but just an adopter and believer of it, but the reason is simply that if Honda produced new XRs here, they would cost less, require less dealer maintenance and replacement parts, and in the end, cost Honda money while saving the consumers money.

Honda could easily adopt the XR4 powerplant to a modernized frame, or heck, keep the steel frame and just improve the suspension components. ( I know this is a debate in its own, the stock forks are pretty worthy when set up well, but many folks, myself included, like the inverts, maybe cause they are sexier.) So, what if the XR 400 had a facelift and from the factory it came with a narrower setup, a CRFstyle tank and seat, tank shrouds to make for a less expensive face lift than replacing an entire tank if it were gouged up.

I know, like they did with the VFR Intercepter, Honda needs to have a "return to production" special release of a 2012 XR4. It could be something like:

420 CC (like the TRX, that is an XR4 just bored over right? A few more ponies, but hopefully still just as manageable) This might be good for the accountants at Honda too, a 420 won't in theory be as long lasting right? That means they get to have service performed sooner.

A prettier ergo layout both for function and for us spoiled brats who want something "sexy", and of course for better handling. A narrower tank and seat and maybe some cockpit updates, as well as a CRF style rear fender that incorporates the tail light in a sleeker layout.

CRF style exhaust

Inverted forks

Carb with an accelerator pump

I think they can leave the steering dampers and beefier foot pegs off the bike. We need to leave stuff alone to allow for "personalization." for me, if they made this bike new, I would not have to buy upgrade hardware, but only a few stickers. :ride:

I'm sure there are things they could add and also leave off the list above, but Honda could go back to taking over the enduro market hands down with something like this, IMHO. :thumbsup:

I remember a few years ago, the king of enduro bikes (arguably of course) was the KTM 400EXC. Before that, before it got passed by some tech advances such as weight reductions and suspension improvements, the XR400 was the bike of choice for enduros, and those animals, not humans, used XR600s for this. Even after tech advances came out, the XRs were still the choice for many, since of course it is 90% rider anyway.

Honda, bring back the XR4 something. Keep that mellow air cooled power plant and lighten it up a tad and those who are not spending money in this whacked out economy will find a way to spend some money again.

Quit screwing us around, I love my 250X, but I would love far more my 250X chassis (weight and feel) with my XR4 torque and power delivery.

Hi sbabs...

"250X chassis (weight and feel) with XR4 torque and power delivery."

+ Xr:

-durability;

-reliability;

That would be nice.:thumbsup:

But,like you write:

"I think the only reason that we don't see XRs here, which has been stated many times, so I am not the creator of this idea, but just an adopter and believer of it, but the reason is simply that if Honda produced new XRs here, they would cost less, require less dealer maintenance and replacement parts, and in the end, cost Honda money while saving the consumers money."

I agree with you...:ride:

SBABS

Don't forget the e-start in the fantasy

That`s abut all we can do-fantasize!:ride:

I prefer kick start and light weight over e.start...:thumbsup:

Just for the record.:lol:

Edited by Ivan X

I would have agreed with you about the e-start when young. We all get older if we survive our stupidity. Being older now, I will accept the weight penalty of 8 lb on an overweight machine for the ease, comfort and safety the e-start affords me.

If I really wanted or needed a much lighter bike, I would go back to a two-stroke!

In 1977, we had (have) a couple of Husqvarna WR250s that are great trail bikes.

Hi guys, over here in Australia we like that the xr's are air cooled (no boiling while mustering or doing slow work)reliable,honest performance,we can do our own repairs,no battery to go flat,only fault is they can be twitchy in sand

I don`t like 2-stroke power delivery.

I would buy,some 200/250/300 smoker,otherwise.

Smooth,tractable power delivery is what I like.

Xr4 with 14/50 gearing is perfect.

At least for me.

I have not had an opportunity to ride one personally...............but have heard that the KTM 300EXC has huge amounts of torque, is much lighter and flys when opened up. Will I have one, no. Committed to the XR4 platform. We have 12 spread over 4 geographical locations in the western USA.

But my apologies to the original poster, he was looking for NON_USA owners!

I would have agreed with you about the e-start when young. We all get older if we survive our stupidity. Being older now, I will accept the weight penalty of 8 lb on an overweight machine for the ease, comfort and safety the e-start affords me.

If I really wanted or needed a much lighter bike, I would go back to a two-stroke!

In 1977, we had (have) a couple of Husqvarna WR250s that are great trail bikes.

Tom,

For sure, 100% on the eStart. Forgot to add it but it popped in my head. It's at the top of the list for me.

Guys! BAckrun? thanks for mentioning philippines,, have you been here before? yeah lots of us here own XR250's although that bike model was not being sold here in our territory, but the demand for that bike, was huge. And yeah, its a great adventure bike with a less mentainance, and most of all,, you don't need a highly skilled mechanic to repair it and get it back into shape,,, long live the XR's as they've always been,,

I love this thread,, love to know more of you guys around the world about your XR experiences in your places..

Emmisions from the air cooled motor was the downfall of the XR's in America.

You can lean out a liquid cooled motor and keep it running long enough to pass the emmision requirements.

I love my XR250r