Sign in to follow this  

82 xl500r

Just bought myself an 82 honda xl500r for 600 bucks... Really stoked to get it running well. I took it for a run today in the bush for a few miles and i'm really impressed so far.

But i noticed some ticking when i was pushing her up a slow steep hill. i turned her around there and went home.

I'm thinking my valve timing, any thoughts?

Just bought myself an 82 honda xl500r for 600 bucks... Really stoked to get it running well. I took it for a run today in the bush for a few miles and i'm really impressed so far.

But i noticed some ticking when i was pushing her up a slow steep hill. i turned her around there and went home.

I'm thinking my valve timing, any thoughts?

Pushing her up the hill with the throttle I hope. You need to be sure there's oil getting to the top of those motors.

If you noticed this noise while on the gas going up hill it is pinging. Try better fuel or richer jetting. My 82 XL500 pings on anything but new and good gas. 10-1 wiseco piston. Even stock bike can do this after some carbon buildup. If it ticks while at idle it can be a loose valve adjustment. These bikes will never run quietly. Always have a little valve train noise. Only use the best oil you can afford and change it every 1000 miles.

hey thanks for the advice, could be my oil levels were a bit low so i swapped them. i can't trust the gas in the tank either so i'll be sure to use better fuel.

It's always interesting getting used to the sounds of a new-to-me bike.

I've had lots of XR's and XL's that pinged and ticked like crazy when really pushed in hot weather or climbing hills. Nothing was ever "wrong" with any of them.

Hi, new here, wanted to say I've been riding my xl500r for about 15 months now and it too has been a noisy ride, pings and ticks allot but it starts and runs everyday for me, it's a daily ride for me.

As said premium gas, empty the gas tank if not used for 2 to 3 weeks.... put it in the car. Some people are starting to use racing gas to avoid the dreaded effects of ethanol.

As for oil change, 1000 miles or 50hrs is a good plan.

The ticking can be also a lean condition, so as said you can change the jets... or play with the mixture screw which on the XR is an air screw..... I know you will be told that it only affects idle.... but everything helps to debug problems.

Michel

83XR350

80DR400