Sign in to follow this  

Help with cam chain

. Cam chain is slipping and I cannot figure the cause. following instructions to the "t" for tightening. Each time the timing is set at TDC, journal hlolders are tight, and you turn the engine over to check timing before it is put back together, the timing skips a few teeth. No clue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure your chain is tight when lining up marks.I do this with my finger through cam chain tensioner hole,push the chain tight with finger also I like to put a small thin screw driver in the spark plug hole to gauge tdc.Don't rotate motor until you apply tensioner.If you rotate motor without tension make sure when you recheck you do so with tension either from chain tensioner or your finger.

well i was riding and it just stalled out, then the kick start wouldnt kick over, so i took the spark plug out and it kicked over fine, i then took the cam shaft cover off and noticed that the timing marks were off, so i proceded to put the timin marks back in line and it will kick over fine now just the chain will not stay in time with the cam shafts i have put it back in time at least 10 times now and it still does it

good luck but keep in mind the 05 has a manual cam chain adj.if it is not adjusted it will jump time.

Yea it works I put the tensioner in, loosen the locknut the plunger shoots out and tightens the cam chain although i am still able to grab the chain between the cam shaft and move it a little bit. Is it supposed to be so tight that it doesn't move at all? I think I'm just gonna buy a chain and new tensioner this weekend and go from there.

Good idea.I've never done a suzuki but i've done all other brands and always needed a fly wheel puller,you can get them cheap from Rocky mountain.I never do a rebuild without doing cam chain,also check all the plastic chain guides for wear.

When you are turning it over is the adjuster tightened? The manual says to roll it over before you tighten the adjuster but it is wrong. They sent out an addendum telling you to make sure the adjuster is tight.

you should definitely consider replacing the cam chain, tensioner, and the cam chain guides if ur bikes an 05 and you dont know how many hours are on it. it sounds like ur tensioners either smoked or the cam chains got a bad kink or something and its hoping. these suzuki cam chains are junk. i've got 45 hours on my 08 and i'm on my 2nd cam chain and the things already needing replacing again. I just adjusted the valves and the chains binding up all over the place.

strange, I have 145 hours on my 06 and it is still great. Valves haven't moved either.