Sign in to follow this  

What to do while my bike is torn down...

I tore my bike down to replace the radiators, fix the tank insert, and service the forks. What else should I do while I have it all apart?

New wheel bearings? Grease the linkage? I'd like to do all I can while its torn down.

Any suggestions, tips, and input is very welcome.

what about servicing the rear shock? or check and see if the wheels are true, clean out inside of air box, ummm re lube cables? thats all i got besides cleaning everything

Oh I forgot to say that I was going to completely clean the airbox....again! What a pain.

What does re lubing the cables do, and how do you do it?

Should I replace the wheel bearings, or is it necessary?

You don't have to replace the bearings if they're not bad

I would give the bearings a good lube at least. If you find any that don't spin smoothly, then replace it.

Brake fluild flush is always a good idea too. And lube the cables like said above

Take that rolling chassis and take her down a big ole hill. :thumbsup:

New tires, clean everything, do some polishing, check valve clearance, change oil, change oil filter and air filter, + everything posted up there, etc.

check your shock linkage bearings.. just got done dissembling and completely repacking mine. they weren't dry but the old grease was shot

oh and there is a special tool you can get at a hardware store that hooks on to the end of your cables and pumps like oil or grease through your cables. my cables are still the same ones that came stock so I am just going to replace them with new ones..

Im still confused about lubing the cables.

What kind of lube or grease should i use for all this?

How do i check my shock linkage bearings?

How do I flush my brake system? What brake fluid is reccomended?

Thanks

Save the hassel later and do everything now while its down no disrespect but if you have to ask how to do it it is over due. Trust me I have learned the hard way in the past.

LOL! Why do you think i made this thread?? So i can save myself the hassel and do everything now.

I use this to lube my cables. Clamps on to your cable (once it is disconnected), and you spray the lube down through it into the cable. Works good, improves throttle and clutch feel immensely.

53-0312lg.jpg

Should I change the spark plug while its all apart?? If so, then do i I just take the two top bolts out and simply swap them out?

Should I change the spark plug while its all apart?? If so, then do i I just take the two top bolts out and simply swap them out?

To change the plug, you don't need to take those two bolts in the head cover off. You just take off the rubber spark plug cap, then use a spark plug wrench (or w/e its called) to get it out.

Should I go ahead and replace it since everything is apart?

I think the plug rockymountain pulled up was like $29. Is that correct?

yep, they are on the more expensive side. they are iridium which causes the price to be high. but they can last a whole season. Or you should just replace it when you do a fresh top end, no need to change the plug anymore than that.

I tore my bike down to replace the radiators, fix the tank insert, and service the forks. What else should I do while I have it all apart?

New wheel bearings? Grease the linkage? I'd like to do all I can while its torn down.

Any suggestions, tips, and input is very welcome.

I'm the wrong person to ask, I suffer from TIM TAYLOR syndrome

tim-toolman-taylor.jpg

last time I went to make sure my wheels were true, I ended up taking them apart polishing spokes nipples and engine enamel red baked onto the hubs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/bowen/yz250f001.jpg

I would attack all the bearings, torque every nut and bolt 10mm or bigger do the Accelerator pump mod and give everything good rub from steel wool.

Haha nice. I have started taking apart my linkage to regrease everything.

How well does the engine enamel hold up on the hubs? Did you just clean em up real good, sand them down some, and spray it on there and let it dry??

I would like to paint my clutch and ignition cover with some kind of rustoleum or something but i dont know how well it would hold up with the wear of boots. Any one have any experience?

THANKS

for lubing my cables I just disconnect the cable (sometimes leaving it on the bike though) and work the cable back and forth while spraying wd40 down it.. Working it back and forth makes the wd40 go into it easier..

Then I use chain lube after the wd40 cleans it lol

works for me :banana:

If you spray paint parts that rub they will wear REAL fast.. Your best off powder coating or not even doing it IMO.. And the hubs will probably also chip off fairly easy from rocks/dirt hitting them all the time