Sign in to follow this  

Supercross 2 stroke in daytona lites main event

I just saw the results online and noticed a rm 250 placed 13th in the main event. Is this a misprint or true? Nice to see it if it is.

I just saw the results online and noticed a rm 250 placed 13th in the main event. Is this a misprint or true? Nice to see it if it is.

You can't race a 250 2T in the lites.

no 2 smokers are gonna be racing in the pro ranks in america. there are about 10 factory team managers (mitch payton & DeCoster to name 2) who are heavily invested in 4 stroke racing development who will stop at nothing to keep their investments alive.

ah. yeah i saw a kx 250 listed also. i thought there was a rules change that allowed this?

There has been talk about allowing 250 pingers in the 250 class for outdoors (not sure about SX) last year it was brought up and it got tabled. They sort of blamed the lead ban and other reasons as being the wrong time to allow it... :thumbsup:

no 2 smokers are gonna be racing in the pro ranks in america. there are about 10 factory team managers (mitch payton & DeCoster to name 2) who are heavily invested in 4 stroke racing development who will stop at nothing to keep their investments alive.

Correction! Its a Honda thing....... They threatened to pull out of the nationals and SX if they allowed 250 Pingers in the lites class. AMA was all for it Davey Coombs is all about 2strokes running Nationals, but in the end Honda won. $$$$$$ I believe that Honda is the only company that actually stopped all production of 2 strokes. Kawi (?) and Suzuki still offer them to the European market

Correction! Its a Honda thing....... They threatened to pull out of the nationals and SX if they allowed 250 Pingers in the lites class. AMA was all for it Davey Coombs is all about 2strokes running Nationals, but in the end Honda won. $$$$$$ I believe that Honda is the only company that actually stopped all production of 2 strokes. Kawi (?) and Suzuki still offer them to the European market

Where did you hear this?

Who gives a shit about Honda. The AMA should say, "Here are the rules if you want to play you can play, if you don't like it you can still play. If you choose not to play, the rest of us will be playing and you can pound dirt!"

F Honda and F the unfair class displacement rules.

MAX!!!

• Like 1

Where did you hear this?

The internet!

Ummm, Davey Coombs had it posted somewhere and then there was an article in Popular Science about Honda having always been anti 2T. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere..... It was a while ago.

The internet!

Ummm, Davey Coombs had it posted somewhere and then there was an article in Popular Science about Honda having always been anti 2T. I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere..... It was a while ago.

I read DC report about them tabling it but don't remember him blaming Honda. I'm curious about it, might help me with future purchasing decisions. If it's just a rumor that's another thing.

man thats interesting. I am still confused though isent the other thread on this fourm talking about a guy thats racing a 2t in supercross or am i misunderstanding something?

You can race a 2 stroke you just can't race a 250 pinger in the 250 class.

Edit- I should say "They" as in Pro MX/SX riders.

You can race a 2 stroke you just can't race a 250 pinger in the 250 class.

Edit- I should say "They" as in Pro MX/SX riders.

I figured as much cause 2 strokes are still defined and outlined in the AMA SX rule book.

So basically they can race, just not on supercross national TV?

I figured as much cause 2 strokes are still defined and outlined in the AMA SX rule book.

So basically they can race, just not on supercross national TV?

Sure they can race on Supercross national tv, just not 250 2T in the lites class, but they make so much power and are lighter they should be competitive in the SX class anyway.:banana::smirk::banana: Why did I do that? :lol: I would really like to see where DC calls out Honda specifically.

What can they still race in, MX?

Alot of people are saying alot of different things, I've heard a few different theories in this half year of being on thumpertalk. No one has posted any factual evidence to support what they are saying. Because of this no one can prove that anyone is right, arguing starts, and then threads get closed or drag out to about 500 pages.

If your going to say something people, back it up with a link, a book, a video file, something to prove that what you have said is true in the whole 2 stroke/4 stroke decision making argument regarding the AMA

I read DC report about them tabling it but don't remember him blaming Honda. I'm curious about it, might help me with future purchasing decisions. If it's just a rumor that's another thing.

Oh Honda definetly threatened the AMA.

I haven't found it, but I will.

Alot of people are saying alot of different things, I've heard a few different theories in this half year of being on thumpertalk. No one has posted any factual evidence to support what they are saying. Because of this no one can prove that anyone is right, arguing starts, and then threads get closed or drag out to about 500 pages.

If your going to say something people, back it up with a link, a book, a video file, something to prove that what you have said is true in the whole 2 stroke/4 stroke decision making argument regarding the AMA

What are you asking, about rules?

There has been much factual evidence posted but I will post it for you again. Next time you can try a search first. BTW in the amateurs you can race a 250 2t in the 250 class.....that would be against 250F's.

http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2010/2010_SXRulebook.pdf

Section 2

Supercross Class Technical Standards

Note: See section E4 for Lites class Technical Standards

Supercross Class motorcycles are subject to the following

requirements in addition to the applicable requirements in General

Equipment Standards. Superseded parts controlled by these rules

must be submitted to AMA Racing for review and homologation

before use in competition. In addition, these parts must then be

listed in the current OEM parts list as supplied to AMA Racing.

Motorcycle components not specifically controlled by these rules

may be modified, removed or replaced.

2.1 Engines

a. Engine Displacements:

150 – 250cc 2-stroke

249 – 450cc 4-stroke

E4 Supercross Lites Class Technical Standards

a. Supercross Lites Class motorcycles are subject to the following

requirements in addition to the applicable requirements in

General Equipment Standards. Superseded parts controlled by

these rules must be submitted to AMA Racing for review and

approval before use in competition. In addition, these parts

must then be listed in the current OEM parts list as supplied to

AMA Racing. Motorcycle components not specifically

controlled by these rules may be modified, removed or

replaced.

E4.1 Engines

a. Engine Displacements:

0 – 125cc 2-stroke

0 – 250cc 4-stroke

This isn't the article I was looking for, but you get the drift

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/future-of-two-strokes.html

Back in 1984, Steve Anderson (then Technical Editor of Cycle World Magazine) went to Japan for a VIP tour of Honda's (then) new racing R&D facility. There, Takeo ***ui, Design Director, "...made it clear that Honda views itself as a four-stroke company that will not be satisfied until it wins all of its championships with four-strokes."