Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Issues

The past few times I've been to the track I've noticed that sometimes my bike will be revved out but it feels like its not putting the power to the wheel. It kind of comes and goes though, it works fine most of the time. Is my clutch worn out? I've tried adjusting it at the lever but doesn't make it better or worse. My bike is an 07 yz250f. I'm kinda new to this clutch business so any help is appreciated. thanks

no, its def. an issue with the clutch. Like the clutch is slipping or something.

Sounds like the clutch fibers are done. You will really notice it when you try to slip your clutch a little while blasting out of a corner, but the clutch keeps slipping for a second or so after you release the leaver.

Pull the clutch apart. Measure the clutch plates and fibers, if they are out of spec of what your manual says, then it's time to buy a clutch kit (fibers, plates, springs).

While your in there, inspect the clutch basket for grooving on the fingers. Grooves can cause the plates to stick causing a whole hand full of issues.

thank you for the reply. I'll take the clutch apart later today. What brand clutch plates would you recommend? Has anyone used a Tusk clutch kit from rockymountain? They're quite a bit cheaper than the others but there are a lot of good reviews on their site.

thank you for the reply. I'll take the clutch apart later today. What brand clutch plates would you recommend? Has anyone used a Tusk clutch kit from rockymountain? They're quite a bit cheaper than the others but there are a lot of good reviews on their site.

I personally stick with oem as in my experiance they seem to last longer and have less issues than aftermarket clutch kits. Thats just me though.:banana:

I personally stick with oem as in my experiance they seem to last longer and have less issues than aftermarket clutch kits. Thats just me though.:banana:

Agreed. Stock plates/fibers and add some Moose clutch springs for an approx 15% gain in stiffness to the clutch over the stock springs.

If you keep your eyes on e-bay you can find good deals. I bought a full factory clutch kit for $20!

Agreed. Stock plates/fibers and add some Moose clutch springs for an approx 15% gain in stiffness to the clutch over the stock springs.

If you keep your eyes on e-bay you can find good deals. I bought a full factory clutch kit for $20!

Thats so funny. Thats exactly what I do. The moose clutch springs are definitly worth it as they are pretty cheap too. :banana:

thanks for the replies. What are the benefits of stiffer clutch springs?

It put's more pressure on the clutch plates so they don't slip as easily under hard acceleration, and they hold their stiffness longer than the stock springs. The stock springs sack out within a few hours of riding, they can't handle the heat too well compared to higher quality aftermarket springs.