Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed trailer size for 2003 Pathfinder?

I currently have a 2003 Pathfinder 4wd.

Specs:

240 hp / 265 ft-lbs

Max towing capacity 5,000 lbs

Max tongue weight 450 lbs I believe

Curb weight 4278 lbs

I have pulled a 20" Reinell family boat before and it pulled with ease. It got up to highway speed with no problem. The truck had plenty of power and this was in an area with some hills. The suspension was sagged pretty low but it had no weird handling problems. We did some panic stops on a test run and everything went well.

I am considering a 7x14 trailer. I will be hauling one dirt bike and the trailer will be slightly modified for camping. I plan on installing a heater, small water heater, light weight counter top, and maybe a light weight shower. The water supply will be minimal. We'll also have the usual camping gear with us like cots, fold up table, plastic chairs, etc. Depending on the trip, I'm pretty sure I'd only be adding 500-1000 lbs to the original trailer weight.

What do you guys think? I am thinking 7x16 is too big and if I have to go smaller than 7x14 I'll just tent camp for now.

just buy a tent trailer if u are gonna go through all that gee man lot of work when u can buy one for a song and dance a 7x16 to big for your lil truck a large tent trailer has twin queen beds a stove furnace sink water tank some have an outside shower and weight less than 1200 pounds

also think about tounge weight that is what kills your lil truck not total trailer weight most all tent trailers tounge weight is less than 400 lbs u can tow em with a small car

We aren't too into the tent trailers. We're looking for something with solid walls.

It all depends how well you want to pull it. I have a 7 X 16 that I have pulled with all different size trucks from my S Blazer and Tacoma to E350 powerstroke. All get the job done OK. You just might want to look into airbags or some rear spring help and keep it out of overdrive on hills.

Oh yea I carry 3 quads and about 1000 pounds of tires, parts, tools\box, cabinets and other stuff.

It all depends how well you want to pull it. I have a 7 X 16 that I have pulled with all different size trucks from my S Blazer and Tacoma to E350 powerstroke. All get the job done OK. You just might want to look into airbags or some rear spring help and keep it out of overdrive on hills.

Oh yea I carry 3 quads and about 1000 pounds of tires, parts, tools\box, cabinets and other stuff.

hey, is your 7x16 big enough to work on a bike inside?

What year tacoma do you have? I won't be hauling as much weight as you but I'm sure airbags would still be a good idea.

I have enough room to work on a quad in my 7X16. Had to do pleanty of work inside sometimes have to be alittle creative. When changing a clutch I usually pull the quad up on two tires with a pull strap from the side.

I have an 01 Tacoma and just run a load bar setup with the trailer the truck is for playing offroad so airbags are out of the question.

Oh yea and no mater what the size of the truck always run a trailer brake controller. Most trucks can get the trailer rolling stoping is where you usually get in trouble.

I currently have a 2003 Pathfinder 4wd.

Specs:

240 hp / 265 ft-lbs

Max towing capacity 5,000 lbs

Max tongue weight 450 lbs I believe

Curb weight 4278 lbs

I am considering a 7x14 trailer. I will be hauling one dirt bike and the trailer will be slightly modified for camping. I plan on installing a heater, small water heater, light weight counter top, and maybe a light weight shower. The water supply will be minimal. We'll also have the usual camping gear with us like cots, fold up table, plastic chairs, etc. Depending on the trip, I'm pretty sure I'd only be adding 500-1000 lbs to the original trailer weight.

What do you guys think? I am thinking 7x16 is too big and if I have to go smaller than 7x14 I'll just tent camp for now.

A 7x 16 isn't big, and you can tow it fine, but you can't go about building in a shower, countertop, water heater, shower, propane tanks, etc...plus your gear, gas, tools, and bike and be at 4200 lbs. you'll exceed that, plus the tongue weight in very short order. A 7x16 all done up, like the 7x16 one that Haulmark sells as the ESCAPE, w/ all the living accomodations, empty is about 4000 lbs.

I hate to say this, but w/ a Pathfinder, your best bet is to get a barebones enclosed trailer and only build in what you want for sleeping only plus HVAC. Leave out the bathroom and water comforts, and you should be fine towing a 7x16.

A bare bones setup was the plan all along. For example the shower may only be FRP walls on two sides, a shower pan for the floor, a curtain, small propane on demand water heater (no tank), and a light weight pump. The water supply would be minimal as well. I'm thinking maybe 20 gallons but I haven't really looked into too much yet. I could place it over the axles. The beds would be light weight cots with backpacking pads. I'd use plastic chairs and a plastic folding table for furniture. We don't camp where it's hot so no AC is needed. A small portable floor heater is light. I only bring a small tool box usually. My bike only weighs 220 lbs so I'm thinking the total would be 2,700-3,200 lbs.

I have a 6x12 single axle and I usually haul 2 or 3 bikes. I occasionally pull this trailer with my sons 2004 Nissan Frontier with a V6 and stick shift. This truck pulls the trailer however it does not do a great job. One thing that I underestimated was the added wind resistanes an enclosed trailer adds.

I also have a three rail open trailer that is hardly noticeable when pulled behind the Frontier with 3 bikes.

It looks like the Frontier has a different motor with 180 hp, 202 ft-lbs, and a 3,500 lb towing capacity. I am still unsure about this whole deal. I have a friend with a 97 f-250 diesel with 200k that I could get for about $3,500. That can tow up to 10,000 lbs but I'd be scared to have to work on it!

I have a 2008 Frontier, 2WD, so it has the 4 liter V6, with rated towing at something like 5 or 6 thousand pounds (can't recall) but has a 265 hp motor.

I tow a 6X12 v-nose single axle trailer with some mods. Those are 6 foot storage/seat benches, 2 fold down beds for kids and mini-fridge, etc..I carry one bike mostly, sometimes the kids klx110 and some spares.. So maybe 3000lbs max.

I HATE towing with my Frontier. It sucks fuel like crazy and I hate rev the motor. Don't get me wrong,, it does it without complaining, but I feel I am torturing the truck and wish I had a large 4X4 big V8 sometimes.

What gets me is that the Nissan has high HP and torque numbers,, but they are sitting at 5000RPM not far from redline,,, when all the driving is at 1800 or 2000 rpm... I'd need to be in 3rd gear all the time to hit those revs!

That's interesting. When I've pulled the boat in the past, the pathfinder motor was pulling well at low rpm's. I had the overdrive off and it seemed to not be stressed at all. I am pretty sure the boat weighs more than a 7x14 trailer but without as much wind resistance. The pathfinder does get bad mileage even without a load.

I don't want to mislead you,, my Frontier tows fine, but it seems like when doing so it is always in between a gear it should be in, if that makes sense. I tow with overdrive locked out as per the manual, but still seems I need to kick it down on small grades etc. and feels like I always have the pedal to the floor. I've read that the truck has no problem standing up to the work, but feel I'd have been happier in a big v8. Sorry to be off topic a bit.

No worries. I agree that it's always best to tow with something larger than you need. If I ever go fill size it will be a diesel.

It used to be that diesel's the way to go but nowadays,

Gas motors have gotten so much better fuel economy & more powerful , while the diesels on full size p/ups having to comply w/ the latest emissions requirements have fallen off a cliff as far as reliability goes.

I haven't heard that although I am no diesel expert. My pops has a duramax with about 200k. He's only had a it a year so far. Currently the steering rack needs some work and it smokes like crazy. It needs injectors which is apparently very costly.