Sign in to follow this  

Add a masterlink??

Hey!! I'm putting a 51 tooth rear sprocket on my son's 04 yz 125. It definitely needs a slightly longer chain. I plan on just adding another masterlink and an inner link between the 2 masters. My son is a 13 year old 110 pound beginner.

Go ahead....tell me some horror stories. Seriously,all things considered,this is no big deal right?

People do it all the time, but i wouldn't, chain breaks/1 of the masterlinks come apart could be costly in the end, broken case, wadded chain could lock the back wheel up and throw your son over the bars or be extremely bad be in the whoops or going over a jump

But its all up to you

Not Ideal.

But that being said ,, you can do it with no ill effects / danger at all.

In dirttrack we run all kinds of crazey gearing ,, and often change cogs several times a day + the diff chain lengths that go with it.

And yes several gearing combo's i use 2 masterlinks.

No safety issues ( been racing dirttrack since he was 5 1/2 ,, now he's 15) ,, and i would never ever but him at risk at the speeds he's running .

I've never seen a masterlink come apart, running two of them would probably never have an ill effect.

Umm, quite the opposite...... The weakest part of the chain is the masterlink. Why would someone put two weakspots in a chain?

I've never broken a chain on a motocross bike. Most chain failures in motocross are because of incorrect tension. I have, however had a chain fail on a street bike, and it did not break at the master link....

I've had 2 master link's on my bike for over a year now and never had a problem

I've had 2 master link's on my bike for over a year now and never had a problem

Me too. However, I rivited the second master link on (I bought a rivet link by mistake) and it works.

A properly installed second master link seems low risk here so I say do what ever gets you going.

heck the new master will have less wear then the rest of the chain......just put the retainer clip on right.

Okay....but I noticed that none of you are from California. Everything that is good here gets screwed up and made into something bad by the blind guides who think wisdom consists of making laws against common sense in the name of some misguided,politically correct higher calling. Could this have any effect on the second masterlink? Thanks!