Sign in to follow this  

Crossing the border

I bought my first bike recently from a friend in Tijuana and got it registered in CA. The bike is in tj right now, I was wondering what papers I would need to bring it back to san diego, any special permits or something?

How about movig the bike from state to state? say Cali to new mexico or arizona? thanks guys

Make sure that you have your current California registration document for the motorcycle, put the offroad registration sticker on the motorcycle and take it across the border to the USA. When taking your motorcycle out of the USA, always carry your current registration with you. Mexican Customs frequently stop vehicles entering Mexico and they will ask for the registration for the motorcycle. I carry a copy of my registration in my fanny pack as well, when I don't carry my wallet on a ride and I am stopped by the military at a drug inspection checkpoint, although they have never asked to see it.

If the bike is already in Mexico it should be no problem bringing it back. I 've never been asked for the registration when bringing it back only when entering Mexico.

In this current era of the new diligent Mexican customs, real good idea to carry the original registration cert. I was taking my Rhino acros and had the photocopy that is acceptable in the US in my wallet. The Mexican customs agent said only the original would do, as the Mexican way is originals is the way. She was going to put me in the send back lane when I remembered the original was in the owners book in the glove box. All good after that.

And as far as the military, I have had them on two occasions out by Jose's on the Diablo lake bed, ask for both license and reg and carefully document it in a notebook with everyone else who was passing that day.

New times in Baja. Lots of years with nothing happening before now.

In this current era of the new diligent Mexican customs, real good idea to carry the original registration cert. I was taking my Rhino acros and had the photocopy that is acceptable in the US in my wallet. The Mexican customs agent said only the original would do, as the Mexican way is originals is the way. She was going to put me in the send back lane when I remembered the original was in the owners book in the glove box. All good after that.

And as far as the military, I have had them on two occasions out by Jose's on the Diablo lake bed, ask for both license and reg and carefully document it in a notebook with everyone else who was passing that day.

New times in Baja. Lots of years with nothing happening before now.

Jim, it seems to be running true to Baja, you just can't be sure what you will get. My last reg inspection was the trip we brought the toyhauler, you saw how packed to the rafters it was, the girl inspector after being shown several paper registrations kept asking for "Steeekers". I had the new but not on the bike "Green Stickers" in my traveling file, showed them to her and with a big smile of relief on her face said, "Ok".

Good reminder for me to call my boys and have them bring there "Steekers" and paper work for Wed!!

mtz

Great! thanks for the replies guys, I was more concerned with the US border tough. I live in tj so I know how our mexican checkpionts work, but I've never crossed a bike over to US soil, I haven't even ridden in the US.

I also wanted to ask, I go to college in monterrey mexico and each semester I go through california, arizona, new mexico and texas, then I cross the border into nuevo leon. There are a lot of great places to go riding over here and I really want to bring my bike over. As far as crossing state lines I just need the registration papers? no out of state permit or something? It would suck to travel such a long way just to get sent back or having my bike confiscated or something, the border patrol checkpoints get me nervous... or worse actually getting it into monterrey and then for some reason not being able to bring it back to cali once the semester is over.

Thanks again.

Brewsi, is your bike currently registered in Baja?

If so, that should be all you need when crossing back and forth into Mexico. It looks like you will not be riding in the states but if you do get pulled over on the highway the mexican documentation should suffice if it's current. You may want to check with the CHP to make sure.

As long as the bike isn't stolen, nobody's going to confiscate it in the United States. Any law-enforcement agency in the United States can check by the serial number.

Crossing state lines shouldn't be a problem either. If you move (permanently change your residence) from one state to another, you have a certain amount of time to register your vehicles in your new home state. In California, it's something like 30 to 60 days, but I'm not sure and don't feel like looking it up. If you're just passing through, an out-of-state registration is good enough.

Cool, if all goes right, it sounds like I may get some riding in next semester! Thanks for all the input