Sign in to follow this  

Factory 3x3?

Hi,

I have just got a 2000 DR-Z400E (Aust version if that makes any difference) and was starting to look at performing the 3X3 mod to it.

So, I went out to the shed, lifted the seat and to my surprise I found a 3x3 hole already in the top of the airbox.

Upon closer inspection, this looks like it is OEM. I can post photos if required.

Is this right or am Ithe victim of some eleborate prank?:thumbsup:

Also if this is OEM, is there still value in me rejetting my carb?

Cheers,

Brett

It came with a rubber air horn (for noise abatement) and some one removed it. On a US E and many non US bikes the air box hole is already 3x3 once the rubber boot is removed.

The air box on an S or SM has markings for the full 3x3 opening, you simple cut along the lines.

I just bought a brand new E in Australia and it too has no rubber boot. It is plated 11/2009.If someone has removed it it must of been the dealer.

Dont worry guys , the dealer has just derestricted your bike [ as they call it ] The E usually has a removable snorkle and when its removed , you have the 3x3 . If you think the bike runs OK , then no problem , but if it surges at constant speed , then I would rejet . I would rejet anyway as the standard needle doesnt have the same profile as the emn , so it will run differently , but thats just me . Just make sure the dealer hasnt just pulled the snorkle and done nothing else , as that will make it run lean , greg

Thanks guys for the info. At least I don't have to cut the hole :-)

I have no idea if it has been jetted. I think I'm the 3rd or 4th owner, so god knows what the other owners have done. I spent all day today tidying up the birds nest that was the wiring.

I will have to pull the carb out and have a look I suppose.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by wosat
fix typo

If you rejet get the allen screws for the float bowl, the Jap Spec phillips screws are like butter. One will be longer for the little bail that holds the tubing.

Check the thread "BBBrejets with...." in the FAQ for full instructions.