Sign in to follow this  

Where is the best place to buy a sparkpug-socket

I'm needing to buy a sparkplug socket for my 2003 XR400, I called the local Honda dealer but they dont stock them. Is there a good place to order online for one that works well?

I hadn't started the bike for the past two months, it was starting and running fine, now I can't get it fired up for anything, so I thought I better pull the plug and make sure Im getting spark.

Thanks for any information.

Steve.

Did you drain and flush the float bowl before trying to start it? 2 month old gas in the float bowl is not good for starting.

There are a few sockets around that work besides the OEM one. Using the search function should bring up some older and recent topics on the subject.

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com has good prices on OEM parts. The XR400 tool kit cost 30 bucks.

Ive read where people use a tool kit from a 400ex too and they only cost 20 used :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-300ex-STOCK-TOOL-KIT-300-ex-250x-400ex-nice_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53dffd1b4aQQitemZ360240192330QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would message him and verify that the plug wrench was 18mm though if you go that route.

Shame on your Honda dealer for not carrying after market items, my local dealer has several display racks of after market tools.

MotionPro make nice plug wrenches, check their web site or the TT store.

Whats wrong with a spark plug socket from Sears or any autoparts store?

To be honest, I just use a small adjustable wrench

You must not be an XR rider. Not any deep well socket will do. It needs to be a very thinned walled socket to fit down in the plugwell. There's no way you're getting an adjustable wrench on it.

Whats wrong with a spark plug socket from Sears or any autoparts store?

To be honest, I just use a small adjustable wrench

Is that a XR400 only issue because I am able to use a regular plug socket on my 01 XR250.

Is that a XR400 only issue because I am able to use a regular plug socket on my 01 XR250.

I use a regular one too, but i need a 3" extension to clear the top of the head

You guys that say you can use a "regular" socket aren't telling the OP or the rest of us anything. What make/brand of socket?

You guys that say you can use a "regular" socket aren't telling the OP or the rest of us anything. What make/brand of socket?

the one i use is an old craftsman socket... i'd say pre-1980 lol.

http://tinyurl.com/yacw6nf

The url above shows what I use for the 600's which have the same problem as all the RFVC motors in regards accessing the plug..,,Cheap as dirt and probably available at a Motor Mower type shop in the States. It's a bit long as is so I Hacksaw the 19mm end off just above the hole and its fine..$3.00,,You can't lose at that price.

Well I have no experience with the factory toolkit or the aftermarket sockets. I did manage to get an unknown brand 11/16th's deep socket in there though.

The socket was a tight fit compared to my 18mm Ace brand wrench.

Mabe it is a fake ngk? (NGKDPR8Z is the plug in my 250L)

just look up the part number for the stock sparkplug socket, order it at your dealership wait a week and your good to go

Thanks for all the replies, I did pick up a socket from a guy at a local bike shop, he took one right out of his own tool box as he had a extra one. So for ten bucks it was mine. So I get home and pull the plug and of course no spark:banghead: I guess I need to track down whats wrong, I have only had the bike for about three months. It is in like new shape has like 500 miles on it, as it was stored most of it's life. Any more help on this would be great.

Thanks Steve.

Check the ground wire going to the coil.

Fluff :

On the right is the stock plug wrench that came with my 03 XR250R , on the left is a 5/8 plug socket with "Japan" labeled on it. The 5/8 fits in just fine and I can remove the plug with it.

5/8 of an inch = 0.625 inches

0.625 inches * 25.4 mm per inch = 16 mm (15.875)

dsc00866w.jpg

It's a little late but I picked up a cheap "lawn mower" type wrench at Lowes for under $6.00 it's got 5/8" and 3/4", one on either end and it works just fine. BTW, I've got an '86 XR 250R and no standard socket would even touch the plug.