Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E or R6

Hey there, i'm Michael and i live in South Australia. I am 18yrs, 170cm (5'7) and 65kilos (145lbs). I am looking to buy a bike to commute to university and use as general transport. The bikes that i am looking at are a drz400e or a 600cc sportbike. I currently own a drz250 which i have had for 2.5 years. The bike has about 6000kms on its, 4000 of which were on road.

The 250 has been a good bike, but i am looking for an ugrade. My budget is around $5000AU, the two specific bikes that i am looking at are a 2002 R6 with 20,000 kms for $5000AU and a 2007 drz400e with 3,000kms for $6000AU. Bikes are at different dealerships, the r6 hasn't arrived yet and the drz400e is very clean and fitted with a bashplate and handguards. I would prefer an older, cheaper drz if i could find one. Understand that i won't necessarily buy either of these specific examples, but they give an indication of what i am looking for and can afford. If i buy a drz i will buy street tyres, and eventually supermoto wheels:thumbsup:.

r6 pros: fast (115hp?), better cruiser- long distance bike, longer service intervals, longer engine life, fun

cons: weight, power (dangerous), costs more to repair, worse around the city (?), worse fuel economy, can no longer ride dirt

drz pros: lighter, better around the city, better fuel economy, can ride dirt, less to break if crashed, cheaper parts, fun

cons: slower (40hp), worse for long distance/ cruising, more servicing, shorter engine life

I understand that the 600cc sportsbikes are a lot of bike, but i have been riding dirt since was 8, and have been riding on road for 2 years. I also don't really have the cash or the inclination to slowly move through bikes, until i am 'ready' for a 600cc sportsbike, but i will accept constructive criticism on this point. I want something fun, which is why i haven't suggested a scorpio.

Any input would be helpful. Cheers

imho gsxr is the better of the two as well, i've ridden the r6, the r1 (of a few different years) and an 02 gsxr 750 and 600, 04 600, and 08 1000 (and r1 08 1000) and everytime the gsxr just seemed like it was a better bike, more power, better ergonomics and handling, i've also owned a gsxr 1000 2007

not saying the r6 is bad but if u get a chance to ride both for any amount of time you will see the gsxr is the winner

I would keep your 250 ... and if u plan on going to the racetrack, get a superbike, if not, get something else :thumbsup:

If your mostly going to be riding on road, you should definately get a road bike. My brother got a drz-400e as a dual sport and has ridden it off road less than 10 times and that was a while ago now. It is taking its toll on the bike. I agree with a gsxr, but i can't have much input on that i've never ridden a road bike.

the r6 isn't a bad choice, i had one but i actually am going to agree with the other guys and say if your gonna get a sportbike, get a gsxr. all around just a real nice bike, i've riden a number of different sportbikes and the gsxr is def my favorite. drz's are nice also, just depends on what you really want as a bike. i'd say buy a rocket and keep the 250 you have. just ride safe.

Another vote for the Gixxer.

R6 (at least the newer models) are very sharp blades. High strung, short on bottom end torque (much needed for riding in the city), huge top end power for a 600, just more track/race oriented in general.

GSXR 600, though still a strong bike, is a little more "street" friendly. Little more bottom end grunt, slightly more relaxed ergos, just a little more of a street bike and a little less of a race bike.

One more thing to think about in your comparison between the 600 and DRZ.. insurance.

Dunno how things are down under, but here in the US, insurance premiums on young guys and sportbikes are massive. Even minimum coverage liability can be an eye opener.

Check with your insurance agent BEFORE you sign on the dotted line on a sportbike of any brand.:thumbsup:

I have an R6. Its strictly a track day bike. If I wasn't on a track, dragging a knee, I think it would be the most uncomfortable thing to ride on. I cant imagine having to sit on that thing for an hour or so in traffic laying on the tank. Its bad enough for 20 minutes at a time.

Of course being 45, my idea of comfort is sitting on the couch with my feet up :thumbsup:

Have you compared insurance costs on the two bikes? Not sure about Australia but in the US a young fella on a sport bike = $$$$$$$$$.

And sport bike brand loyalty is the same as dirt bike brand loyalty. Get the newest one in the best condition you can afford.

Thanks for the all the replies guys.

And thanks for the insurance reminder, i hadn't thought about that, i'll have to have a look at how much that will cost me. Yeah the drz250 has been a good bike for me but it is a bit weak on the road, and in the dirt my main riding buddy has a modified te450, so the 250 dies there.

Ideally i would like something decent on road, but i still wouldn't mind going off road, it seems like the drz400e could do both alright, whereas a 600 will carve on the road, but would only do road. I guess a 600+cheap 2 stroke combination could work also.

Thanks for the all the replies guys.

And thanks for the insurance reminder, i hadn't thought about that, i'll have to have a look at how much that will cost me. Yeah the drz250 has been a good bike for me but it is a bit weak on the road, and in the dirt my main riding buddy has a modified te450, so the 250 dies there.

Ideally i would like something decent on road, but i still wouldn't mind going off road, it seems like the drz400e could do both alright, whereas a 600 will carve on the road, but would only do road. I guess a 600+cheap 2 stroke combination could work also.

With this being said you should get the DRZ. You will save $ on tickets and insurance. You can get your thrills offroad and have a commuter on road. You will be able to hang w/ that TE if you're equals or better riding offroad. When you get out of school get a sportbike and an enduro. Or like you said "600+cheap 2 stroke combination could work also".

the drz will be good for you while in school, if your really set on a street bike look at the gsxr.. i was riding an 06 gsxr750 for a while and I loved that bike!!! my friend had an 07 r6 and commented on how much nicer the gsxr was compared to his bike.. i rode the r6 and all i have to complain about is how gutless the bottom end is.. otherwise its a nice looking bike

Have you compared insurance costs on the two bikes? Not sure about Australia but in the US a young fella on a sport bike = $$$$$$$$$.

And sport bike brand loyalty is the same as dirt bike brand loyalty. Get the newest one in the best condition you can afford.

this is definately something to think of... i got a quote for 12 grand a year (yes $12000) for an 06 CBR600 :banana: ended up with an 08 DRZ400SM and pay $750 a year :banana: And the DRZ's are by no means slow. They dont have near the top speed of a CBR, GSX, or R6... but you really dont need to be going 160 MPH! do a few cheep mods to the DRZ400 (3x3 mod, re jet, bore kit?) and it will put a smile on your face every time you hit the throttle. Rather than a brown stain in your pants :lol:

"i got a quote for 12 grand a year (yes $12000) for an 06 CBR600"

12 grand? That is ridiculous, were there any other factors contributing to that price besides your age? Which type of cover was that for?

nope, not that i know of... think thats just the insurance companies way of saying we really dont want to insure that bike for you! and thats for full coverage i believe, same coverage i have on the DRZ now for 750$ a year

Thanks for that bit of info biker boy, if Australian insurance premiums are anything like yours, then it looks like the drz will be my choice