Sign in to follow this  

Creaps at idle

I have a 90 RM250 That creaps or moves at idle (in Neutral). You can just watch it slide along as the kick stand leaves a trail in the ground. You can push it around very easy while idling, but as soon as you set it on the kickstand, it starts to move. There is plenty of free play in the cable and no lurching when putting it in gear.

At first I thought it was a bad idle and just vibration, but I pushed the chain against the swingarm and the motor is turning the chain.

Any suggestions? Different oil, Syn Oil?

Thanks

The chain is moving when it's in neutral? Something is wrong with the gearbox.

It sounds like vibration moving the bike. If it had that much pressure moving it because of the tranny, it would not be easy to push. It may be time for an oil change, but I don't think it's anything serious. There may be slight pressure on the chain from all the gears spinning in the tranny and slightly rubbing together.

It's one thing if the bike is on a stand and the wheel moves when the engine is idling in neutral: that's normal. It's not normal for the bike to be idling in neutral and roll itself forward. It could be the idle is set too high and the vibration is moving it; try lowering the idle speed and see if that helps.

It's one thing if the bike is on a stand and the wheel moves when the engine is idling in neutral: that's normal. It's not normal for the bike to be idling in neutral and roll itself forward. It could be the idle is set too high and the vibration is moving it; try lowering the idle speed and see if that helps.

I'm thinking thick oil, cold weather causing the oil t act as friction gear between the 2 sprockets. Know what I mean??

I'm thinking thick oil, cold weather causing the oil t act as friction gear between the 2 sprockets. Know what I mean??

I guess that could be possible, but I've never experienced it. In neutral the gears should be free-wheeling; the oil would have to be really thick.

It will spin on a stand while idleing if the oil is thick enough it could cause a friction mesh or very dirty oil or atf etc etc. ya know what i mean :banana:

I think your letting it idle too long and your bike is just slowly going for a ride with you.

Serious, it's vibration so if the top end is fresh and everything is tight (like the bracket going from the head to the frame) and all of the motor mounts, then there's nothing to worry about.

How long are you letting it idle and how far is it going?

It actually goes backwards and starts to move as soon as you put the kickstand down. Leaves a white scrape trail on the cement.

How fast is the rear wheel turning if you put it on a stand?

After that, I'm sure you tell us how you got a reverse gear in your bike!

My 08 does the same thing. Vibration is the culprit. My KX does the same as my buddies 2 2 strokes.

It actually goes backwards and starts to move as soon as you put the kickstand down. Leaves a white scrape trail on the cement.

I've had two strokes run backwards before. My RMX has done it a couple of times. Just shut it off and start it again; everything is fine.