Sign in to follow this  

Sputtering

Just bought a crf 50, and it has a two brothers 88cc bore kit (amongst other things). and it's got a sputter. It idles and starts perfect, but when you twist the throttle, it sputters and hardly moves.

The bike hasn't been ridden in a couple months.

So I imagine its just a little fouled? Any other ideas? What's the best way to un-fowl a bike?

Also, it has a little tick, but I'm told that's fairly common on these bikes.

The 88 kits have a tendency to have an off-idle sputter, but since the bike sat for so long you would be better off taking the carb off and cleaning out all the oraficies (main jet, pilot jet, float bowl, etc.). It's pretty simple to do, just make sure you get it all cleaned up and then reinstall it to see if that helped out or not. You can also check the valve clearences to see if the tick is normal or if its out of wack. Valves that are out of adjustment will cause some really funky symptoms. Check out two brothers website and see if they have the correct clearences for your valves. I have the Honda Trail Bikes 88cc kit and have my valves set at .003

Cool thanks. That was my next question, whether or not to use stock valve clearances for a bore kit.

Will removing the carb and cleaning it mess with the settings at all?

And how do you recommend cleaning it?

Pull the carb, take out all the rubber parts, dip overnight in a carb cleaning solution. Next day spray it all down real good with a carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air....being sure to get all the nooks and crannies!

The BB kits are a little louder than the stiockers and I have noticed that you can definitely hear the cams more now, but that is normal. If your valves were out of wack, you would have trouble starting normally!