Sign in to follow this  

I was given a 1983 Kawasaki Duckster

I was given it this week and my wife wants me to get it running so she can ride it around the property.

It has a lot of rust on it and I think I should have just said no.

Any ideas where to start? I was thinking about stripping it down and just see what I got.

If it's the same Duckster as the one in this link

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/hunting/deer-hunting/venison-recipes/2009/08/ugliest-atvs-ever

I'd take it outside, pour some gas on it, light it on fire, then go watch some TV and when the wife comes running to you saying it's on fire, act surprised and say, "Oh well...there goes that project."

Dude, those people who tried to make a Tri-Z at the top of their ugly list were way off and got some nasty replies because of it, well deserved. Trikes are so, so, so much better than what quads have become. Heck, quads aren't even good enough any more, people are trying to pass-off Jeep size sideXsides as a personal trail vehicle, tearing all the trails to hell and turning them into freag'n roads. Last time a quad came along for a trai ride with us, they had to turn around because they couldn't even fit down the trail, that outa tell forest managers about something. Quads have spread like a freag'n disease that aflicts the lazy and uninspired.

Ok, about the Kawasaki. To start it was FREE(I use those four letters with caution), so from here on out it is only a matter of how much you have to put into it. IMO, I think it is a cool looking machine and represents the diversity in three wheelers during the '80s. I personaly like the Hondas because of part availability, but I think any three wheeler that is above a parts donor(except the rare that should not be considered donors unless they are less than 50% complete-Tiger-Polaris etc.) is worth at least getting to run. You will be taking a road less traveled with you Duckster, but if you can pull it off, you will have something rarer than a ATC. If you are not a Duckster expert, by the time you do the research needed to bring it back to life, you will be.