Sign in to follow this  

California SB615 Has Died

The Senate Bill SB615 that would allow Cities to permenantly regulate OHV recreation in their communities has died in the sub-committee. The Bill was started for California City and would have allowed similair large cities (over 200 square miles) to be able to have a special Vehicle Code law put on the books. Currently, the City has to re-new a local ordinance every year to keep the riding open and designate dirt city streets as designated combination use (OHV) routes. The benefit would have been the long-term law and would save $$$ from re-doing the ordinance each and every year.

Sacramento said that there was not enough support and only a few letters were received. The only people to show up to the sub-committe hearings were the City Manager, Mayer and myself. (It was 8 months ago. They didn't set up a second meeting).

Although we will try again to put in a simiar bill, it will take some time. But until then, the DIRT team will keep working on the year-to-year ordinances to keep the City's OHV area open.

For those of you who have read this thread and don't believe a simple letter of support goes no where, there are instances where it means a lot. For example, each year many OHV areas ask for some of the Green Sticker Grant money to help with their local OHV program. Last year we only received 5 letters of support. If you want to support your local riding area, you can go to the State Parks web-site and send them a letter that would be attached to the respective agency's grant program showing support (or if your against the program).

For more information go to:

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/ and select "GRANTS". this tab will explain how to publish/send your for/against email.

If you want to see what we're doing with some of those funds, go to: www.calcitypd.org

See everyone soon....

Be safe.

I feel really stupid Lieutenant. CORVA had something on their calendar about this back on April 29 but I must have missed it. This was really important for many others in addition to California City and I didn't even write a letter. A politics freak I'm not but I would have paid attention to this. Did you or the City post it here or somewhere else? If I missed it, again......stupid.

Lou Peralta and I just exchanged a few ideas last week in regard to this. We need for the Off-Road Community to be able to recieve pointed news and ditection and speak as a single voice. I'm looking forward to another opportunity at this bill.

Thanks for the update Sergent. Unfortunate about that bill,

it would have given the city more leverage to keep Cal City

open for tourism and OHV visitors

In light of recent legal problems of our Senator does not help much

As far as grants

I have read comments on this site to the fact

"All our sticker funds go to closures"

Well, not remotely true. Those who state that should maybe do some homework

or attend a grants workshop some time before making ridiculous claims all our

cash goes into signage or law enforcement.

FOJ is doing a grants comments workshop on the 17th of this month in

conjunction with the regular FOJ meeting. Public is welcome

Wayne

Action Needed for pro OHV bill Cal City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove all Advertisements

Immediate Action needed.

To all Off roaders who love coming to California City.

We need you to send a letter to

Carrie Cornwell

Chief Consultant Senate Transportation and Housing Committee

State Capitol Room 2209

Sacramento, CA 95814

916 651 4121 or fax 916 445 2209

Please send your support of the California City Senator Roy Ashburn Bill SB 615 to permit the California City Council to designate trails within California City to allow Off Road access in the city.

Fax this to Carrie today they have hearing coming up May 5, 2009

Wayne

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Per Countdown "Google is not a substitute for a brain"

Last edited by Wayne_Nosala; 04-28-2009 at 08:55 AM.

So, how was this bill a "good" bill? I can see very few communities actually using this for the good of the OHV community, but I see a majority using it to shut down areas with a quickness.

Just curious.

It just show how unorganized off roaders are.

We need a Community Organizer. I hear Barrack is gonna be looking for a job in a couple years.

So, how was this bill a "good" bill? I can see very few communities actually using this for the good of the OHV community, but I see a majority using it to shut down areas with a quickness.

Just curious.

Exactly.

Take the blinders off and weigh the unintended concequences...

So did you guys analyze the bill to come to that conclusion? Or Maybe

the 16 anti OHV orgs (Most not even based in Kern County) opposed it

because they had nothing better to do with their time?

Wayne

Is it ever possible for ANYONE to get an answer without a smart arse come back ? :banana:

Dont see what is smart arse about my comment, Was asking

if the two other posters actually read the bill and saw who

opposed it before making the assumption it is closure legislation

Wayne

The Bill: SB615 was designed specifically for California City. California City has over 1,200 miles of roads that were built in the early 1960’s for a housing area that never happened. So Cal City over the past few years was addressing Off-Highway vehicles on those City dirt roads which were covered under the State of California Vehicle Code. The existing code does not allow Cities to permanently allow OHVs on City Streets (even dirt streets). The City wants to carefully manage OHV’s and allow certain access to City businesses. It’s a win-win situation.

The Bill would have allowed large cities that may have dirt roads, to allow OHV access if THOSE CITIES DESIRED. It would allow cities to make up their own mind if they wanted OHV’s to use old dirt streets, etc to travel on. The Cities could determine, locally, which dirt streets could have OHV’s on and not interfere with other cars, etc. Such as equestrian trails, bike trails, OHV’s would have OHV trails to go from one point to the next or designate certain areas to openly ride.

So, instead of the State saying NO OHV’s ON DIRT STREETS, it would allow a City to say OHVs OK ON THESE DIRT STREETS. A local study and committee would work together and determine which dirt streets were safe for OHV travel and allow these special trails that other recreations have.

The City has spent $$ working on the bill and it was presented by a Senator in Sacramento last year. I believe that due to lack of support, it went to the side and died.

Without the Bill being passed, the City has to renew a temporary ordinance every year to continue to allow OHV’s on certain dirt routes. It costs the City $$ to keep doing this and would have been less work and cheaper once the State passed the bill and the Governor signed it into law. It would have been around 9-year increments with reviews every few years.

One of the big problems: The areas that would have been included in the Bill and would have had the opportunity to make up their own mind of ALLOWING or NOT ALLOWING OHV recreation in their Cities filed letters opposing the Bill. I guess giving them the power to decide what is better for their own city was too much for them.

So, it would have been a state law IN FAVOR and benefited OHV recreation and this is why it was a good thing. It would have gotten the ball rolling for other things to benefits OHV's. I’m sure there are other cities in the state that will be coming up with a new bill that benefits OHV’s……..(???)…. Right?

Thanks DIRT Team LDR. Always good info from you.

SubTexel & JSanfilippo: Will you explain why you think this is a bad idea ? How would this bill cause closures ?