Sign in to follow this  

clutch dragging

I have a quick question. I just purchased this KDX 200 and tried to start it the other day in gear and it lurched forward with the clutch pulled all the way in. On my XR 200 I can do this no problem and with the bike in first pull the clutch and it will still roll pretty easy. My KDX will not really roll in first gear with the clutch pulled in.

I cleaned the cable on the bike and set the freeplay to about 1-2 mm in the clutch lever. I think the bike hasnt was not rode a lot for the last few years so I wonder if the clutch plates are sticking? I changed the tranny fluid but still no luck. Any ideas?

I have a honda 4-wheeler that will do that. I bought it new, did it from day one. If its in gear it will move foreward alittle while starting. Also my RM250 did it also. Just click it into N. Unless its real bad which could be other problems. The basket could be worn causing the discs to stick on the fingers.

Could be just one of those things, does it do this when it is warmed up? Start it in neutral cold, warm it up, turn it off and try to start it in gear. Could be dirty oil in the clutch, warped plates, notches in the clutch basket. My RMZ does this a little from when it was new. Likes to be in neutral to start. I would not worry about too much if the clutch works when you ride. If you come to a stop with the clutch in, in gear, does it lurch? if so, needs clutch attention. Good luck and the KDX200 is a one of the all time great bikes IMO.