Sign in to follow this  

XR to CRF or ?? Upgrade opnions

TT brethern - I have always valued the experience & advice posted on these forums over the years. I beleive it is time to upgrade from my Trusted & Tried 2001 XR280. It has all the motor & suspension mods necessary for an old school trail / woods rider like me. Looking to get a newer used trail bike for A 50 yr old 210 lbs have a few beers & a Cigar AFTER the trail ride type rider.

Pls advise on your upgrade opnion & suggestion :

CRF250X - 450?

Other mahines in this catagory ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

TT brethern - I have always valued the experience & advice posted on these forums over the years. I beleive it is time to upgrade from my Trusted & Tried 2001 XR280. It has all the motor & suspension mods necessary for an old school trail / woods rider like me. Looking to get a newer used trail bike for A 50 yr old 210 lbs have a few beers & a Cigar AFTER the trail ride type rider.

Pls advise on your upgrade opnion & suggestion :

CRF250X - 450?

Other mahines in this catagory ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

ello . i would guess the xr would be hard to beat as an allround capable ,comfortable,reliable and plenty fast enough offroader. i havent ridden the more modern crf,s or yzf 250,s to be honest . i just bet theyre more for racing than pleasure. what about a drz 400? .better try them all really.

It sounds like you have enough experience to ride a 250X, though you are a little heavy for that bike. By experience, I mean you use momentum and can use the meat of the power the bike has to offer. The 450X is a heavier bike, has a racey motor, and will wear a young man down in the trails. I believe you would be happy with the 250X, but the 450 will really get with it if you dual sport it or get into some open trails. Both will require jetting to get them right from the factory. Suspension for your weight will also be a must, especially on the 250.

If you want longevity and reliability like your XR, I say go with the Yamaha WRs. Look at the maintenance schedule and history of the CRFs.

I'd buy a Suzuki DR too.

I'd say the 250x would definately be an upgrade from your xr. I've learned that the x has like 10 to 20 more hp than your xr stock. So that's a start and if you modded it would be even better. I'd keep your old aircooler around just incase your new bike ends up a basket case you cannot beat an xr on reliability! I think a 96 xr250 was a frame and suspension change. A buddy of mine let me ride his 96 xr250 and I'd rather ride it than my 93 xr600.

If you want longevity and reliability like your XR, I say go with the Yamaha WRs. Look at the maintenance schedule and history of the CRFs.

I'd buy a Suzuki DR too.

depends how well you maintain it.. my old yzf crapped out sooner then my crf, just goes to show that a properly maintained bike can go far..

Thanks Drumbrake - The DRZ is an option on the screen. One of my buds now a KTM guy still talks about how much he liked his 400 DRZ.

I just made the move from an Xr400 to a 07 WR250. Compared to the XR, the WR feels substantially lighter, with a much lower center of gravity, especially apparent on single track where there's a lot of side to side movement. The WR is much more nimble on the trail and the suspension (especially the forks) is much better at absorbing bit hits - it doesn't deflect like the XR did.

I think the WR is faster overall, but part of me misses that XR grunt, where you can be at 3 RPM and just roll the throttle on. The WR needs more RPM, but is still acceptable down low.

Estart is icing on the cake - my XR was a good starter, but you can't beat the button.

So far maintenance is similar, but I don't get the same "this thing will run forever" vibe from the WR. My valves haven't been an issue, yet.

I recently went from my xr250 to a crf450r. Less weight,More power= More Fun!! No it does not have e-start but I didnt want the added weight! I put a flywheel weight on and made sure the jetting was good and its a blast!! I ride tight single track that is rooty and rocky in the Lower fraser Valley B.C. Went out for four hours yesterday and today Im no where near as beat as I would have been on the xr. Yes its a little choppy in the rocks but no big deal. The XR low end torque cant be beat but the 450 will put down pretty good and has a ton more power. THe xr is like a cadillac in the rocks but is also heavy to pick back up if needed. Maintenance is more on the 450 but its more fun to. I would say for your riding and age etc that the 450x or wr would be a good choice! They are close to the same weight as the xr and have e-start and tons of power and better suited suspension for trails. Just my thoughts!

I when through the same decision a little over a year ago. I ended upgrading from my XR250 (not as modded as yours) to a used ('05) KTM 400 EXC. Six gears, e-start as well as kick start, almost as light, and the RFS engine has been just as reliable so far. I'm still very happy with the upgrade.

Good luck!

If you want to upgrade bikes, stay away from the DRZ400. Too heavy and slow handling to really consider it an upgrade over your current bike. Any of the newer trail bikes will be an upgrade over your bike.

I when through the same decision a little over a year ago. I ended upgrading from my XR250 (not as modded as yours) to a used ('05) KTM 400 EXC. Six gears, e-start as well as kick start, almost as light, and the RFS engine has been just as reliable so far. I'm still very happy with the upgrade.

Good luck!

This is exactly what I did a few years back. Really liked the 400 (mine was an 06) felt like my XR on steroids that handled better! Broke my leg, had to sell the bike. Bummer. Ended up getting a new 07 CRF 250X and ended up liking that bike better than the 400 because it was noticably lighter and (for me) handled better. That thing hauled my but up anything I pointed it to. My weight is 205ish w/riding gear.

Now I ride a 300 2T, but the 250X is a sweet ride compared to your XR.

Only negative point to the X is that it is a very high maintenence bike compared to an XR.