Sign in to follow this  

'86-89 xr250 wheel to '82 xr250?

ok, SOMEBODY must have been down this road before but i can't find it on any of my searches. does anyone know if an '86-'89 xr 250 rear wheel will bolt on (minor mods are fine) to '82 xr 250. i'm trying to get rid of the 17" rear without lacing up a new wheel. since i will probably need to buy a whole wheel to rob the 18" rim for the conversion anyway, i figured if there was a wheel that would bolt up reasonably easy i could just go that route in the first place. also if anyone has any usable cylinder bolts for this bike i would be happy to buy one. i snapped one of the shorter ones (135mm i think) on disassembly. anyway thanks to anyone for taking the time to give me some helpful info!

Can't imagine that it wouldn't, but you can got to service honda and check the parts from the two bikes to see if they look like a match. Spacers "maybe" different. (assuming it was still rear drum brake on the 86-89)

i did check the microfiches, but as you might guess the part numbers are different. service honda and anyone else doesn't publish dimensions so the only way to get that is from other folks who may have tried it. you can't tell by the diagrams if they are a close match or not. of course, if no one else has, i will become "other folks"... and yes, 86-89 are the last of the rear drum brakes. (pre '86 is still the darn 17" wheel). thanks for the response.

paul

I dunno. I had an '82 XL250R with the 17". The swing arm was a shorter too. You might be limited with tire width/ height with a 18" rim. I would barrow a buddies wheel that you can just dry fit in to see if it's gonna fit.

Why do you want to ditch the 17" wheel? Tires? I don't remember the 17" being too hard to find tires for but I was looking at DOT knobbies. Just be glad you don't have the 23" front!

In 84 Honda changed the rear hubs; 84-89 Xr250 and 84-02 XR200s are all the same hub. I had a couple of early eighty XRs and while I remember the hubs and axles looking the same as the 84+ versions I never tried a swap. I do know that axle length and spacers changed thru the years to accomodate different swing arm designs.

Here is another option; the 81-83 XR200R ProLink bikes also had 18" rims like the 86+ XR250s.

I've had good experiences with the 17" tires and a variety of brands and sizes are available.

there really isn't a clearance issue with the 18" wheel. (and if it would get too snug with a particular kind of tire i can just lengthen the swingarm an inch, it is a steel swingarm and wouldn't take me long to do) and yes the reason is tires. right now there is exactly one name brand 17" mx tire which is an irc and it is a soft terrain tire. that is what i'll use if i don't get the 18" conversion done. i've raced with enough cheng shins and kenda's over the years to know better now. there are many more tread and terrain choices in 18". i also race a 1979 xr500 which originally had the 23" front (which came on several honda dirt bikes for about 2 years). it now has beefed up and slightly modified xl350 triple clamps, forks and wheels which believe it or not works pretty well. but i figured somewhere along the line somebody must have tried a different rear wheel on one of these things...

i agree, the pictures of the swingarms all look fairly similar but without having specific dimensions or two side by side to compare it is tough to know if anything would be a bolt on swap. i wondered about maybe the xr200r (the pro-linker, not the twin shocker) rear wheel possibly working too. but i don't know anyone nearby that has one i can borrow to see how close it is. anyway, thanks for your thoughts, i'll figure something out somewhere along the line!

paul

i've got a 89 xr250 and the space in between the swingarm is 185mm (roughly). i'm also looking for another rear wheel because the drum has worn out. sorry but i have'nt had any experience with the earlier xrs.

i've got a 89 xr250 and the space in between the swingarm is 185mm (roughly). i'm also looking for another rear wheel because the drum has worn out. sorry but i have'nt had any experience with the earlier xrs.

thanks, i'll measure mine this weekend to see if it is in the same ball park. i appreciate the help.

84-89 XR250 & 84-03 XR200 hubs are the same, but rim sizes changed during the years. You could buy any these wheels and lace your rim to it.

I'm curious to know how the earlier XR250 hubs differed from the 84+ hubs.

84-89 XR250 & 84-03 XR200 hubs are the same, but rim sizes changed during the years. You could buy any these wheels and lace your rim to it.

I'm curious to know how the earlier XR250 hubs differed from the 84+ hubs.

me too!!!

paul