Sign in to follow this  

2000 WR 400 or 2 Stroke 250

Hi I just sold My rm 125 and am looking to upgrade. I am 6'3 175lbs and am 16. I owned a ttr-225 a while back so thats my only 4 stroke experience. I have owned a whole bunch of two strokes and am not completley sure what to do? I ride only easy trails and Fire roads. Suggestions. I have 1600 cash what should I look into or should I wait until some nice two stroke comes on the craigslist market.

Here is the 400.http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/1632037020.html

Last question when I go to look at used bikes how can I tell If they are abused or not?

Jesus you're a big kid... Try looking for a trail specific bike, like a KLX or KDX. An old RM250Z would be sweet too!

If the WR really was well maintained then maybe. I'm not sure if it has electric start but if it did then go for it. The only problem that I have with the YZ250 is the FMF SST pipe, that's a high rev race pipe ~ not a trail pipe. So if you bought the YZ then plan on changing the pipe. As to which one would be right for you ~ well, either one would be a huge step up from your TTR. Only buy the 4 stroke if you are able to pay for a $1,000 rebuild next winter or before you start riding this spring.

You can tell how well something has been maintained by the "little things". Like, no missing washers, the graphics and the plastic is in good shape, and the garge that it's sitting in will also be organized ~ maybe not clean but not trashed either.

Also, anyone that claims that they have a "low hour" 4 stroke needs to back it up with an actual hour meter that's been installed and a log book that has entries dating back to when they first got the bike.

No I dont currently have the ttr-225, I am coming off an 03 RM 125.

Why would I have to rebuild a 4 stroke after 1 year? He Said that it has sat for 5 years and been ridden rarely. He said the plastic is a little damaged though...

what about this one? http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/1623427744.html

This guy said his kids put some bearings back toghether wrong but he will fix it if I buy it? sounds a little sketch. Good deal?

The YZ250 is a lot easier to start, maintain and ride.... The wr is a good bike, but over weight and a real tank...

The YZ250 is a lot easier to start, maintain and ride.... The wr is a good bike, but over weight and a real tank...

whats "a real tank" mean?

whats "a real tank" mean?

Very top heavy, hard to maneuver, hard to start, just a difficult bike...

I have an '01 YZ 426 and ride trails. Once I got the starting thing down it's a blast to ride. Climbs hill with eaze.

I dont really think buying an old 400 4stroke is upgrading,or any other old 4stroke.The money you might need to invest in the motor is not worth it.Maybe save or get someone to loan you some more money,so you can buy a newer 4stroke if thats what you want.If you're just woods riding,I would go buy a YZ250 2stroke.

The WR400 is one of the hardest bikes to start, espesially when hot after being on it's side. 10 kicks are not uncommon, and there is one hell of a starting drill to get it going. Also, That WR is old. It's going to need engine work, now or soon after.

If you do go with the YZ, be prepared to put some money into it to make it trails worthy. That's why I always start with a "purpose specific" bike. Trail bikes come stock with alot of nice stuff, like tripmeters, coolant reservoirs, beefy stators, headlight / taillight, smaller rear wheel, softer suspension, softer seat, wider gearing... I could go on, but I think you get the idea. If you really won't ride the YZ on a trackmore than half the time, I'd go with a proper trail bike.

Wow My eyes have been opened after doing some research, so the 400 is definetley out of the picture now and I talked to the guy with the 250 and It has alot of hours on it and has never had a top end....sounds like he is trying to get rid of his clamped out bike in my opinion but I could be wrong. I will probably just wait until next week when new bikes are posted.

If both bikes are out of the picture, then I suggest taking Slick_Nick's advice and looking for an actual trail bike. Something along the lines of a 2 stroke KDX.

Trust me man, it sounds to me like you don't really ride MX, and I have ridden MX bikes on trails - NOT FUN - unless you dump a bit of cash into them. At least for the rocky stuff I ride anyway. Trail bikes are meant for what you want to do. More power off the bottom, wider gear ratios, often times a 6th gear instead of just 5 on an MX bike, and all the rest of that fun stuff that I listed above. KDX's are well worth a look. They are one of the best "bang for the buck" bikes out there.