Sign in to follow this  

Do I really need a yz250f?

Alright, im 5/7, 130lb's and i am wondering, I have a 2001 yz250f and I feel like its too much bike for me, like its to heavy and feels bulky. My only question is, would it almost be easier for me if I got a 2 stroke 125?

The 2001 is a heavy beast of a bike. If you feel it's a hand full to throw around, that's understandable. If you have the money, try one of the aluminum framed YZ250F's 06 or newer, they "feel" 50 pounds lighter when riding.

However, the YZ125 would be one heck of a fun bike to scream around on, cheap to maintain, but will require more fresh top ends etc.

The 125 would be a sweet bike, low maintenance, light, cheap. If you ride a variety of terrain, you may find the 250 more versatile. With the 250f, you can lug the motor in slippery or slow rocky, technical terrain.

well ok, since I live in CA the green sticker red sticker thing applies so I cant get a newer bike, and the kind of riding that I like to do is stuff like enduro. I will sometimes get on the track but enduro is my personal favorite and an occasion I will do a trail.

Keep it , im 5'7'' and 120 lbs and love my 01 yz250f, Actually compared to most 250f's the 01 is one of the lighter year. it only wieghs 210 lbs

There is another option. The ktm 200exc feels lighter than your 250f because it carries it's weight lower. It won't have the torque that your 250f has but it will have a lot more than the 125 will.

All good input. One other thing to consider: I don't know your age, but maybe you'll get stronger and gain better endurance which would allow you to keep the 250f. Other than the weight I bet there are many things you like about it, right?

But if you can find a nice yz two stroke and adapt to the riding technique of the 2 vs 4, then I say it's a win-win option.

well im 16 so I probably still have some growth left in me. I just went riding yesterday and it was still fun! I think that its a nice bike but right now since I just got the bike in september and before this bike I had a crf 100 I think im still getting use to a 250!

yeah you have to get used to a bigger bike

i've got a 01 as well at first it feels bulky but i love it now

I am 47 yrs old , 5.9 and 140 lbs got a 2002 WRF 250. I also think I got to big of a bike, or im 2 OLD . LOL

gentalmen, anyone that ride should workout daily...i find when i am inshape nothing is too heavy for me..even though i bench over 400...i workout i feel confident..young man...u still have a ways to go..the 250f is one super bike..i have a 01 myself and i am 52...get strong and get mean