Sign in to follow this  

anyone using a Garmin Nuvi gps?

i am going to be in the Yosemite Adventure ride and it recomends using a gps. i have a Garmin Nuvi 200w that i got for X-Mas. is anyone using this? can i download trails into it? ive searched and noticed that most people use different garmins but i already plopped down $$$ for the entrance fee and hotel, i dont wanna buy a new GPS if i dont have to.

i am going to be in the Yosemite Adventure ride and it recomends using a gps. i have a Garmin Nuvi 200w that i got for X-Mas. is anyone using this? can i download trails into it? ive searched and noticed that most people use different garmins but i already plopped down $$$ for the entrance fee and hotel, i dont wanna buy a new GPS if i dont have to.

I just got the Nuvi 550 (waterproof) on my Z and 800gs and love it... We have a 250w in the car and the 780 in the rv.... We love`em all.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

are either or all of them supportive of offroad trails? can you upload your own trails and routes? i wish i knew of an online course to better help me learn the full features.

I would worry about the durability of the Nuvi. I have the 60Cx but would probably go with a Delorme PN-40 now.

are either or all of them supportive of offroad trails? can you upload your own trails and routes? i wish i knew of an online course to better help me learn the full features.

Yes....but you need to go to garmin.com to see the features on which units... The ones I have will all support mapquest topographical maps.....

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling

I have a Garmin Nuvi for the car and a Garmin Etrex for the bike. The Etrex is great for recording and and downloading trails. The Nuvi is better for finding restaurants and motels, but can't deal with trails.

I have a Garmin Nuvi for the car and a Garmin Etrex for the bike. The Etrex is great for recording and and downloading trails. The Nuvi is better for finding restaurants and motels, but can't deal with trails.

Mine can..... It has all lower 48 topos loaded ......like my e-trex vista cx did....before it died.....:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

Yeah, the etrex cased Garmins are not really all that durable. What happened to it?

Yeah, the etrex cased Garmins are not really all that durable. What happened to it?

I had it on my 800gs......Did a 400 mile trek....200 was on dirt......80 miles on very rocky sections....some with a lot of up and over.....After I came home it simply would not turn on.........So I`m not sure....but then $100 exchange for a overhauled one was not acceptable to me....So I bought the 550.......Put it on my 800gs as well,,,,On a road trip on it right now...Spending the night in tucumcary,NM on the way to Wichita,KS.....went through t-storms....sleet.....worked awesome......:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

I'm not sure if the Vista is any different internally than the Legend I have. It had issues with a ribbon cable inside that would come loose. There is a DIY on a repair. Google it. You may be able to save the little guy.

As best as I can tell from the Garmin website, the nuvi 200 will not except tracks. I don't think that this model is going to work the way you want.:banana:

ok ok so its time to retire my Nuvi. got it. but i dont wanna spend over $200. what garmin gps could i download .gpx files to? i checked the website but couldnt find any info on it. i would like to download different trails from people/websites and the gps MUST be .gpx friendly.

I can put .gpx files into my Etrex Legend, but first I have to convert them to the Garmin format in a different program (freeware). I would assume this applies to all the Garmin handheld GPSs.

Great Post! I'm looking to go buy a GPS for my Z. Are there any GPS units that work with GoogleEarth? Seems to me like there are several roads on Google that do not really exist and verce-visa. I would love to plan my trip on GoogleEarth, take my GPS with me and when I'm done, load Google with the GPS story of where I really was.

Anybody do this?

I can put .gpx files into my Etrex Legend, but first I have to convert them to the Garmin format in a different program (freeware). I would assume this applies to all the Garmin handheld GPSs.

.gpx is the Garmin file exchange format. My gps logs everything on to my sd card in the gpx format. When I take the info off my gps into mapsource it actually brings it in as a .gdb file.

Are there any GPS units that work with GoogleEarth?

This can be done, but you have to do converting as GE uses .kml files. I am sure I am behind times and I think this is improving and getting easier to do.

Thanks Gof1...... I will look in to this. I just put the Nuvi 550 through it`s paces.

Just arrived in Wichita,KS......two day trek from El Paso,TX....750miles..... (on my F800GS)....not the Z....anyway last 5 hrs was through torrential downpour...... Everything was wet....soaked..... Including me....:lol: Gortex did not test their stuff at 70mph.....:banana::lol:..... But that little Nuvi just kept going........

IMG_0141-1.jpg

It`s a bit pricy...as compared with the ws200 series....but it is really cool not having to protect it since it is waterproof....:banana::thumbsup:

Erling

great post EBRABAEK! Nice cockpit as well! so after doing some research it is decided i will go with the Garmin 60cx. the difference between the cx and the csx is no barometer or compass. but it does give me a compass display on the map so thats ok. anybody got a GPSMAP 60 cx and wanna share some info? do i really have to buy street maps for it?

and GREAT FIND from PTGARCIA on the cosco savings. man thats cheaper then fleabay!

great post EBRABAEK! Nice cockpit as well! so after doing some research it is decided i will go with the Garmin 60cx. the difference between the cx and the csx is no barometer or compass. but it does give me a compass display on the map so thats ok. anybody got a GPSMAP 60 cx and wanna share some info? do i really have to buy street maps for it?

I have one and really like it. Don't pay for topo maps. You can get free, high quality 24k topo maps at gpsfiledepot.com.