Sign in to follow this  

Where would you start?

Alright guys, Spring is rapidly approaching in the Northeast and I am really looking to get my bike running again. Let me give you some background info.

I deployed to Iraq for 7 months where I had left my bike in storage. Filled it up, put some Stabil in and left. When I got back the bike fired right up and I rode it around like that on the entire tank with no problem. Then about a week after I got back I washed it down, with a pretty powerful hose. The bike would not start after. I was in the process of seperating from the military and moving home so I had no time to work on it or try to figure out what was wrong. It got tossed in the back of the moving truck and once I got home sat in the garage for a month or so, still not running.

I have tried to start it numerous times over the months. I use a trickle charger for the battery to keep it charged, but the bike just has not started. I don't even get backfiring or anything. The starter cranks and the bike makes a sound that is similar to a water cooler getting air bubbles while your filling up your cup on each crank. I can upload a video to demonstrate the sound if anyone would like but that is the best I can describe it.

So far I have changed the spark plug and checked it for spark. We definitely have a good spark and the spark plug is brand new. I admit I have virtually no mechanical experience working on bikes or even small engines for that matter. So I am asking, where would you guys start, and if possible is there anywhere I can find a good guide to help me do it. I do have service manuals but it is sometimes hard to decide where to go first.

Thanks!

i would try starting fluid, since you do have a good spark. Tape or tie the clutch lever to the bar, remove the side cover and spray in to the filter while cranking. If it pops or even runs, then you know where to start. Many people dont like to use "ether", but I have to use it all the time at work, for propane forklifts, diesel powered trucks, loaders, welders and other stuff, so far with no ill effects.

also, try stating the bike while the fuel petcock is on the "prime" setting.

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried starting the bike in prime but I will have to try using some starting fluid.

is it possible that you accidentally got some water in the exhaust pipe when you washed it? that would explain the noise you hear. Why dont you un-bolt the exhaust to see if there is any water in it.

Johan,

I will give it a try tomorrow, but it seems weird that the water would be sitting in there for months now.

I did notice this the other day too. If I attempt to start it in 1st gear and the clutch fully pulled in the bike cranks and tries to kick over and actually moves the bikes forward. I don't understand as the bike has never done this before.

If you used a power washer it may have been possible to damage a vacuum line off of the carb, if you power washed that area. I have had a few bike where starting and running problems were all related to one or two rubber hoses. Inspect all the rubber hoses coming from your carbs.